We highly recommend this castle for anyone in the area, and wish we could have stayed more than one night. What we found extremely disappointing, no appalling, was the welcome. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. We were not a voucher holder. I've had several stays at this beautiful hotel, been for afternoon tea multiple times, had many family meals there including my 50 birthday lunch and I've never had reason to complain but I'm afraid someone needs to have a word with Chef as it is NOT ok to serve bread which has started to dry out. Our waiter was very attentive, amusing and made us feel very welcome. We went back to the longe for coffee and chocolates. I have had better afternoon teas in small local cafes. Our booking was only for 2 nights and it soon became clear it wasn't long enough, so we added a third night to fully embrace the standard of the food and the ambience of the Castle. Our bill came to 77 -7 was an added service charge which, under the circumstances, I felt needed to be deducted. I do not understand why we were treated so. It wasnt until Mary, who had lived here as a princess, came to the throne that the property was returned to the Stafford family in 1554. EDWINS' goal is to enhance Cleveland's most vulnerable neighborhoods by helping to cultivate its future . A stunningly beautiful garden, it has more that two dozen boles (niches) containing skeps, which are straw hives for the numerous bees that enjoy the vast array of flowers in the garden. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Most of the building was left to fall to ruin, so much so that Thornbury became something of a tourist attraction, as a ruined castle close enough to the spa town of Bath and Bristol to draw visitors. Only the single tower in which Henry slept was built. +44 (0) 1454 281 182 Prices are the average nightly price provided by our partners and may not include all taxes and fees. See all (239) These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. We waited an age for the food. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". Three Course Dinner for Two at Thornbury Castle Hotel 1073533 5 out of 5 (based on 13 reviews) 156 Best price, guaranteed! Do you think it deserves to be better known? If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. We werent sure if they meant a gift voucher or another voucher scheme. *Local charges. Gourmet Foodie Break - Thornbury Castle Midweek Gourmet Celebration Treat yourself to a night of indulgence with our special package. Relais & Chteaux Entreprise and the properties where you stay, acting as joint data controllers, use of your personal data to process your membership to the guest . Service was generally friendly and efficient (not snooty, as I had feared), and Thornbury was perfect for giving people with little time to spare a real English experience. Yet, as a diner out on the town, keep in mind that when a fine dining restaurant mentions casual, their "casual" expectations are much higher than those of your typical Saturday afternoon on the couch. Four small sandwich fingers and some small cakes and a couple of very small scones. There was no apology or remark from whom I am sure was the manager. As the UK's biggest experience day retailer, we can negotiate the best prices for you. Thornbury Castle, Relais & Chteaux 9.4/10 Exceptional See all 419 reviews Popular amenities Free WiFi Parking included Pet-friendly Restaurant Breakfast available Business services Castle Street, Thornbury, Bristol, England, BS35 1HH View in a map Explore the area Thornbury Castle 3 min walk Thornbury Golf Centre 5 min drive I was generally disappointed with the formal afternoon tea on offer. Rates from 389 per couple per night in a Deluxe bedchamber, Sunday to Thursday. Not worth the money very little of everything basicallyMore, Thornbury Castle Hotel is an impressive building dating back to the reign of Henry VIII. > The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance". The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". The cakes &scones were delicious & the tea selection was varied. Very upset that we chose this venue for our treat. I have had better afternoon teas in small local cafes. We quickly changed and went else where for dinner. She then spoke to chef who said the sandwiches were ok. Ask jvb1128 about Thornbury Castle Hotel & Restaurant, Ask ConnieCotswolds about Thornbury Castle Hotel & Restaurant, Ask Katharine Z about Thornbury Castle Hotel & Restaurant, An experience, as well as a place to stay, Ask Slatters about Thornbury Castle Hotel & Restaurant, Ask Brussel about Thornbury Castle Hotel & Restaurant, Ask southerntravelerms about Thornbury Castle Hotel & Restaurant. Services of high quality and a willing and friendly staff always there to help, with particular reference to Christina and Pedro" In fact Henry VIII and Ann Boleyn stayed there when it was just a castle. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. Buckingham was the second richest person in the country. A bottle of sloe gin from a local distillery awaited me, a nice touch. Does this restaurant offer table service? I chose Darjeeling tea while our dining companions selected English Breakfast. It does not store any personal data. Bell sold it to Maurice Taylor in 1986. By the time it came our pot of tea was cold and almost gone. 01454 281182 thornburycastle.co.uk More hotels in Gloucestershire View all 9 Telegraph expert rating From Thyme Read. Join your fellow guests at midday, and enjoy a pre-lunch Champagne drinks reception by the Christmas tree with live music, followed by a four-course Christmas lunch with all the trimmings. Our reviews are based on an annual survey of ordinary diners which runs in Spring each year. > We were in the Mary I room--they treated us like royalty. Property Details Built in 1536 Entire property renovated in May 2021 27 rooms in 1 building 3 stories Tudor architecture Smoke-free property Hotel Services View the the following list of coupons and click to get the code. Our overall feeling was that we were not that welcome.More, The internal environment of the hotel is somewhat impressive. find your country number or Thank you so much Carl for the wonderful gastronomic experience- may your well deserved Michelin Star arrive any day soon ! Relax and unwind by playing a choice of board games or, if you prefer, a spot of croquet out on the lawn. find your country number. Enquire The cookie is set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin and is used to store whether or not user has consented to the use of cookies. The castle is trading on an environment and image they cannot offer to all their customers. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. In a place like this I was shocked that the kitchen closes. The Tudor Hall is perfect for larger occasions, including banquets and gala dinners, while our Barons Sitting Room is a more intimate space for cocktail receptions, exclusive dinner parties and elegant suppers. But this establishment has not yet gathered enough feedback for our editors to write it up. Yes. Review tags are currently only available for English language reviews. Thornbury Castle Castle Street, Thornbury BS35 1HH England +44 1454 281182 Website Menu + Add hours See all (239) RATINGS Food Service Value Atmosphere Details PRICE RANGE $116 - $116 CUISINES European, British Special Diets Vegetarian Friendly, Vegan Options, Gluten Free Options View all details meals, features Location and contact We have recently experienced a couple of Michelin Star meals elsewhere and were keen to compare with the Hotel's 2 AA Rosettes. Tudor Splendour with Unique Food and Service of the Highest Standard! The quality of this afternoon tea was average. In summary overpriced for the quality on offer and theres a lot better around. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. no trainers, t-shirts, shorts etc. It had a population of 12,063 at the 2011 census. I'm afraid this was clearly not the case as they were still quite dry on one side & cold which suggested Chef had not just made them and they were from the original batch which was stored in the fridge. Some of the sandwiches were not as fresh as you might expect and they were the skinniest sandwich filling for an afternoon tea that I have experienced. The customer environment was not monitored. Taxes and fees are included in the above prices. I have stayed in some pretty strange and amazing places in my time as a travel writer, including a jail in Laos, but never before have I slept in a bedchamber let alone one in a Tudor Castle. Pass through the gateway and find, beyond those striking stone walls, a true escape from the everyday; a luxurious Relais & Chteaux retreat that channels 1520s grandeur and 2020s splendour all at once. Staying In Room: How To Entertain Yourself In A Hotel. As our stay unfolded the room became very cold. The setting is spectacular, even better since the recent refurbishment. Thornbury Castle is located just under 15 miles north of Bristol. The dinner, though good, was also very expensive. Thornbury Castle, Thornbury: See 513 unbiased reviews of Thornbury Castle, rated 4 of 5 on Tripadvisor and ranked #9 of 32 restaurants in Thornbury. We have enjoyed High Tea in many other locations, but this was far from the best. Most have four-poster beds and all feature antique furniture. Superb food in a lovely setting, great service. Sample breakfast, lunch, dinner or a Thornbury Castle afternoon tea. The Outer Court if it had been completed would have held 400 people. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". The castle is breathtaking along with the gardens outside. NEWSRiver Caf alumna brings Italian flavours to Battersea, NEWSBirmingham's loss is Liverpool's gain. Thornbury isa pleasant village with its own heritage trail and museum, which unfortunately was closed during my visit. Tea was taken in one of the lounge areas, next to a real fire (just right on a slightly chilly day). Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. There were many highlights- the halibut, cod and stone bass were amazingly fresh, and the Loch Duart salmon with lime, mousse, caviar and shellfish bisque was particularly memorable. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. Are you sure you want to delete this question? I was disappointed by the sparse quantities of sandwiches. Chef Carl Cleghorn brilliantly blends garden vegetables and produce from local farmers, offering both traditional and vegetarian menus that will delight the most discerning of connoisseurs. However, we were very disappointed when served sandwiches which were not quite as fresh as one would expect. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. February 27, 2023 By scottish gaelic translator By scottish gaelic translator Get an answer from Thornbury Castle Hotel & Restaurant staff and past guests. This is far more than was legally allowed by Henry as retainers. Upon our arrival for afternoon tea we were led us through several formal dining rooms to our private dining room. Overall not a good experience and I would not recommend. Its not that the whole experience was awful but it wasnt what I expected. During the afternoon, enjoy the castle's carol singer in the Tudor Hall, along with a hot chocolate or mulled wine. There followed two further restorations. This was followed by squid ink ravioli in a shellfish bisque, with Loch Duart salmon, crevette and caviar. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. The waitresses & service was good. Most have some unique features - in our case a bathroom hidden behind a secret door. over a year ago Answer 7 answers Reviewed this restaurant To sum up- Thank you all for your expertise in ensuring we enjoyed a truly delightful stay ! Quite frankly having dined with the Signature Tasting Menu each evening we were blown away with the skill and passion of Executive Chef Carl's attention to detail, subtle flavours, and quality of the food. Review. Thornbury Castle Castle Street, Thornbury BS35 1HH England +44 1454 281182 Website Menu + Add hours See all (239) Ratings and reviews 513 RATINGS Food Service Value Atmosphere Details PRICE RANGE 96 - 96 CUISINES European, British Special Diets Vegetarian Friendly, Vegan Options, Gluten Free Options View all details meals, features When I booked the tea I'd seen it advertised at 32.50p per person so was disappointed again when the bill arrived for 71.50p. The food was no different from a 15-20 per head experience. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. This seemed to set the mood for the evening. I chose Darjeeling tea while our dining companions selected English Breakfast. Best Afternoon tea top afternoon tea ive had in the whole of somerset. The presentation of the afternoon tea was was nothing out of the ordinary. As my friend pointed out, Chef was not eating the sandwiches, we were & they certainly were not fresh. Some of the sandwiches were not as fresh as you might expect and they were the skinniest sandwich filling for an afternoon tea that I have experienced. "Luxurious accommodation, delicious food, and friendly and attentive staff so very enjoyable experience." The castle is in the town of Thornbury, 12 miles to the north of Bristol. Yes we did both order exactly the same courses! Please see our partners for more details. When this was pointed out, our waitress explained the bread is stored in the fridge. Thornbury Castle is a Tudor castle in the place of Thornbury, in Gloucestershire, England, situated next to the parish church of St Mary, founded in the Norman era.Construction was begun in 1511 as a further residence for Edward Stafford, 3rd Duke of Buckingham (1478-1521), of Stafford Castle in Staffordshire. This impressive hotel and wedding venue has undergone a 10 million refurbishment bringing it straight into the 21st century while remaining true to its Tudor heritage. You are here: Home / small, intimate wedding venues small, intimate wedding venues. My son had on jeans/t-shirt when we arrived and he changed into khakis and buttoned shirt. What is the average price per head for an evening meal please? It was edible but not appetizing. Consequently, both my cousin and myself who have mastered the latter part of the attire while failing miserably with the former, did not feel uncomfortable as we entered the stately dining room. I've been coming here since the 1990s and this is the best it has ever been. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. We dinned in the restaurant on the first night and opted for the signature tasting menu & what a delight it was every mouth was an explosion of taste from the amuse bouche to the fondant tart every dish was beautifully craft. Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. We were shown to a small room where we were the only customers apart from one other table that became occupied shortly after our arrival. Eating at a low (&too small) coffee table. Thornbury Castle, Boutique Hotel and Gourmet restaurant in the country Thornbury - Bristol - Relais & Chteaux (from) US$ 299.25 Reserve Gallery Thornbury Castle United KingdomThornbury Slide Down Hotel Restaurant Good to know News Thornbury Castle Add to my favourites "A true escape from the everyday.