Continue reading at KIT HOMES, ALADDIN, SEARS, WARDS, OTHERS or select a topic from closely-related articles below, or select a topic from the closely-related articles below, or see the complete ARTICLE INDEX. Ssrah. One of the best known Sears house locations is in Carlinville, Illinois, where Standard Oil of Indiana built a million-dollar development of 192 Honor Bilt houses for employees of Schoper coal mine (156 intended for miners and other workers, an additional 28 nearby and somewhat more deluxe meant for supervisors). You can read more about them here, here, here, and here. Asking: $475,000 Sears Modern Homes Model: Vallonia (?) Thornton also cites an "R" either in the cast-iron base of some sinks (kitchen?) The problem starts out front, where the place is just oozing Sears Modern Homes, but the sheer size of the place and unorthodox design left us a bit puzzled as to what exactly we were looking at. It helps to narrow that search through Sears home catalogs if you can find the year that your home was constructed. My home was built in 1915 , an addition was built on in the 1980s , but I believe the original home was from a kit. What year and style home? homes have been much modified or expanded since their original construction. Thanks. Harris Brothers Company, Chicago, Illinois. - Stacey Vairo et als, HISTORIC AND ARCHITECTURAL RESOURCES INVENTORY FOR THE TOWN OF WILTON, CONNECTICUT [PDF] (2018) Wilton Historical Society, http://wiltonhistorical.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/2018-Survey-Narrative.pdf also available at Robinson's Kit Homes are often cited along with Sears and Wards, we're still looking for details - I'll post what I can find under Robinson's in the article above - give me an hour or so and don't forget to refresh your browser or clear your browser cache to see the updated page. 1918. Sears Modern Homes typically arrived with a detailed instruction manual and two boxcars worth of building materials. If My House Is Not A Kit, Then Where Did It Come From?? I would love to get more information about the Sears Roebuck Home I have recently purchased in Fresno, CA. Even better, unlike the other homes weve seen so far, 1670 Whitcomb seems largely untouched from its original design. The house has been expanded and modified. NTL Stacks TH4819.P7M66 1924, Our recommended books about building & mechanical systems design, inspection, problem diagnosis, and repair, and about indoor environment and IAQ testing, diagnosis, and cleanup are at the. I am licensed in just Missouri and Kansas, however, I have a great network of agents with a few good ones in eastern Tennessee. Would like to build one. Number 32. Also lovingly renovated with lots of lovely original details like picture frame mouldings and french doors, 5953 Jefferson in Burlington, Kentucky looks like the perfect place to while away a summer afternoon with a mint julep and a great book. We also provide an ARTICLE INDEX for this topic, or you can try the page top or bottom SEARCH BOX as a quick way to find information you need. at $500. There are part number stenciled on the boards. @Karen Marsh, That year, the Aladdin Company of Bay City, Michigan, offered the first kit homes through mail order. Love these homes. with a few candidates with an expert like Thornton might see immediately as probable or improbable Sears Catalog Houses. Rosemary Thornton You absolutely can make real estate your side hustle. Other kit homes, not Sears, include Montgomery Ward Kit homes and Aladdin Kit homes. Thornton is also If you can find other details such as finding specific stamps, lumber marks, or hardware in your particular house that confirm it as a particular company's kit home and also paging through the kit home catalogs we list to match that roof design and entry porch, for example. Rather than trying to include all the information from the above article, the best procedure would be to go through the Sears Kit House identification steps and details given above on this page. But we can't rule out traditional plaster lath. the dwindling "do it yourself" home market. These type of details in addition to what we've noted in our earlier response may help with identification. Though we don't search for them as diligently as we do Sears Modern Homes kit houses, we have found some kits from other kit-house companies of the same era, in the St. Louis area. For the first time, Sears has opened the doors to its vast archival collection and invited the public to peek inside. Some Vintage Kit Homes Now Sell for Over $1 Million. Only the very wealthy would have hired their own architect to design their home. after 1940. Any help is appreciated! In addition to trying the Sears Kit Home catalogs and identification resources we give here, you're welcome to post photos (one per comment - as many comments and thus photos as you need) of your home and to give what background you can about it (location, history etc) to see if other interested readers can offer suggestions. On 2022-03-07 Price: $334,000. In short, it's a house whose blueprints and building supplies were ordered from a specialty Sears catalog, and all of these supplies were shipped, by rail (primarily), to the homeowner (who either chose to build the house himself, or use a contractor to arrange the construction). No matter where the depot was, to which the kit was delivered, homeowners found a way to haul the materials to their lot. Edith, 74, told the newspaper: The Ohio bungalow as it looks today. The elegant archways and what looks like the coziest home office south of the Mason Dixon gave us an excuse to linger and wonder if running the site from Lexington, Kentucky would make sense, Asking: $1,150,000 Sears Modern Homes Model: Oakdale Year Built: 1923 Listing Agent: John McElveen Listing Brokerage: RE/MAX of Boulder. On 2021-05-13 Price: $179,900 Historic house:Built in 1911, this Sears home sits on a large, corner lot in a historic district, surrounded by antebellum homes. Here are those we know of from Lewis Homes, Gordon-Van Tine, Wardway (Montgomery Ward), and Aladdin: . Get actionable real estate strategy in your inbox. I am about to sell and would love any help in finding out more to pass on to the next buyer. Sears kit homes contained 30,000 pieces, including 750 pounds of nails, 27 gallons of paint, and a 75-page instruction book. Here are five recent sales and listings of Sears homes around Chicagoland. . The list, below, gives you model names and addresses of 80 houses that we have located in the St. Louis area. An April 1955 photo of the Zoeller home shows the siding now painted white instead of the original wood color. @Cathy, On 2022-01-23 Browse the list below to see if there are Modern Homes in your city or state, or to find someone who owns the same model as you. Sold under the Sears Modern Homes brand, the kits soon became a huge hit; selling thousands of homes all across the country in the companys 33-year history. Want even more free resources? then left the rest to the construction company. Buyers of a Sears Kit home saved about one third of the typical construction costs of their era. Most folks turned to their local lumberyard or a local contractor, who would have offered booklets of modest-to-elaborate house plans for American home buyers to choose from (we call these, simply. Sears Modern Homes were purchased primarily by customers in East Coast and Midwest states, but have been located as far south as Florida, as far west as . Located in the desirable Converse Heights neighborhood, the home greets visitors with a large front porch. They included location specifics and many photos. modular home company) - https://www.homesbykeystone.com/ One of many Sears houses built in 1912 by a realty company. In Alabama, dozens of historic homes are rumored to be kit houses but only a small percentage have been certified as . More difficult to find in some homes is the definitive stamp/stencil letter-number identification on framing lumber and trim, but it is often there for the diligent inspector, for example on. we own a sears home..We are interested in saleing..it and land surrounding it its in the beautiful mountains of eastern Tennessee. Hello! Item #1 is a great reference catalog of home designs, Note how the rear roof is much shorter than the front side of the roof. She explains that often a specific Price: $200,000 Happy home: This 880-square-foot, ranch-style home has two bedrooms. In 1940 the last "official" Sears kit house was sold and shipped to its owner. Your comment will appear after it has been previewed and approved by the blog author. Tell us about you so we know what to send. the author of books on identifying Sears houses, cited at REFERENCES below, and As you've indicated, you already have some helpful information from your home. More than 70,000 Sears Modern Homes were sold between 1908 and 1940. Well, as fun as a puzzle can be under deadline I guess. Our Comment Box is provided by Countable Web Productions countable.ca, Click to Show or Hide Citations & References. Price: $489,000 Livability in Lexington: Built in 1928 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this four-bedroom home has been meticulously maintained over the years. This home was built from a Sears & Roebuck kit delivered by rail & moved from the train depot to its current location in 1914. Corona is derived from the Latin word for crown. Lake Worth, Florida. 1915. Any ideas about the model of this home? Scroll down to the section with that title, to learn more about plans-only companies. And, boy, did that post get some answers 743 comments, last I saw (of course, probably 50 or more of those, are my comments, trying to clarify and correct some of the answers that were, So, I thought maybe it's time to do a definitive blog post about where, in fact, the, Sears Modern Homes kits were sold from 1908 through about 1942, There were other major kit-house companies, (only a "possible"very likely NOT Sears, but a "lookalike"--possibly an Aladdin), The Back Story Of Kit Houses vs Non-Kit Houses. Fiberboard could be used as a plaster base or painted, or simply left in its tan-brown color. Because kit homes made wide use of already-popular house styles you cannot be sure of a kit status from the photo alone. Please refrain from any comments or jokes about anything else. Customers were given everything needed for basic assemblyincluding the nailsdelivered by rail, and most folks with adequate carpentry expertise could put up their new house in just a few days. I hope Sears has the common sense to donate those materials rather than throw them away.Thanks for this! - Keystone homes (50 y.o. As you've indicated, you already have some helpful information from your home. by Inspectapedia Com Moderator. 239 W. Russell Street, Barrington, $949,000. A consummate salesman, Ford even joked that the Model T was available in any color his customers wanted, as long as it was black. I believe we own one of the original sears homes. Only one image can be added per comment but you can post as many comments, and therefore images, as you like. https://inspectapedia.com/Design/Aladdin-Kit-Homes-Catalog-1941.pdf. ALADDIN KIT HOUSES https://inspectapedia.com/Design/Aladdin_Kit_Houses.php 1910. St. Louis is home to a small neighborhood of pre-fab kit homes made by the Gunnison homes company, in 1949. by danjoefriedman (mod). The sheets were made of pressed wood pulp and cost 46 cents per sheet. Thank you for this set of photos of your lovely home. ], Sears began offering Goodwall sheet plaster as a replacement for the more labor-intensive wood lath plaster systems used in older homes. in the Kit House Identification article above we cite Thornton's books describing Sears kit homes, but you may want to step through the definitive list of key Sears Kit Home identification points given in the article above right here;