FoxwoodForge. Feb 12, 2012. There was a problem subscribing you to this newsletter. Reheat the piece and place the spike portion in a vice as shown. Store-bought" twisting wrenches. Antique Blacksmith Twisting Wrench With A Forged Railroad Spike Keystone Drop Forge Works Drop Forging Tools 1910, Abercrombie And Fitch Co. Outing Garments & Fishing Tackle 1907, Gray Bonney Tool Co Ltd Tool Catalogue No 51 1951. In my listings just do a search on either twisting and/or railroad. If you have tried to twist a spike . Working with railroad spikes requires all the basic blacksmithing equipment: a forge, anvil, hammer, tongs, and punches. Even more of a problem is trying to grip the head to do a decorative twist in the length of the spike. The really big one is for twisting railroad spikes. Tools Required for Tong Assembly: Vise, Twisting Wrench or Tongs, Hammer, Drill or Hot Punch. Click below to begin your paid subscription. These are adjusted for the spikes I have in the shop and my handgrip. Gonna try some. We are using our new propane forge from our previous video. Common items are wizard heads, knives, small tomahawks, door knockers, spike crosses and poker handles (do a search on Railroad Spike within eBay or go to /cjsfo ). The main problem, My prefered twisting wrench starts with a, Appalachian Blacksmiths Association - Wax, Appalachian Blacksmiths Association - Oil, Beginner Blacksmithing Tools Twisting with a Modified Pipe Wrench, Blacksmith: No Weld Twisting Wrench Build, OSF Need A Tool Make a Tool - Adjustable Twisting Wrench, ABANA National Curriculum Forged Scrolling Wrench, Wisdom of my father: "It takes more of a man to walk away from a fight than to stay and fight. The tongs were made by welding pieces together. Sellers looking to grow their business and reach more interested buyers can use Etsys advertising platform to promote their items. I use this tool quite often. Learn more. The C-scroll and arm are then held together with a collar I forged of the remaining materials of the 3 railroad spikes. Articles, First-Generation iPhone Sells for Over $63,000 at Auction. Etsy uses cookies and similar technologies to give you a better experience, enabling things like: Detailed information can be found in Etsys Cookies & Similar Technologies Policy and our Privacy Policy. $121.50, $135.00 This style is a 14" auto wrench with a 1/2" x 1" handle. Repair (including two-way shipping) will be my responsibility. This heavy duty Railroad spike center bar pull that can handle the job. Common items are wizard heads, knives, small tomahawks, door knockers, spike crosses and poker handles (do a search on Railroad Spike within eBay. Plain Jane after that. Quick Blacksmith Railroad Spike Tongs, RR Spike Head Tongs for Holding Railroad Spikes, About 15 Inches Total Long. If all you are using is a pan-type coal forge you may not be able to get the area to be twisted hot enough for effective use of this wrench. Get Fast, Free Shipping with Amazon Prime FREE Returns . (15% off). Blacksmiths Depot 100 Daniel Ridge Rd. The first thing you should do is contact the seller directly. There would be no extra cost for this service. These sturdy spikes are perfect for adding a touch of industrial flair to a variety of projects, including motorcycle footpegs, tool handles, and more. With powerful tools and services, along with expert support and education, we help creative entrepreneurs start, manage, and scale their businesses. We've sent you an email to confirm your subscription. Grind down the sharp edges. Look at the spike in the picture to see how it does. Inspect carefully before use and message the seller if you have concerns relating to the product. Original Price $16.00 Please contact Commercial Investment Services at or apply for free at No pets and no smoking. Schollhorn Co. Pliers Nippers Punches Etc. The jaws are designed to grip a spike's head on both sides for twisting. 2 1917, Bonney Forge & Tool Works: Bonney Tool Catalog No. Your credit card or PayPal account will be charged. Vertical drawers or horizontal cabinets uses makes these work for all kitchen pull and handle needs. see program terms. Some trival about railroad spikes: The basic shape of the railroad spike has not change since it was created in 1831 by Robert L. Stevens, son of John Stevens, who is known as the father of American railroading. S&H is at actual plus $1.00 handling per shipment. Clean up the edge of the blade with your hammer to refine the shape and create a rounded appearance. They can hold 5/8" round or square stock (and also 3/4" in a pinch), some rectangular stock and can also serve as bolt tongs. Atlanta, Georgia 30328 | 877.481.5750, If the wrench being offered below isn't robust enough for you please note I can convert any of the twisting wrenches I have listed from twisting square to twisting roadroad spike heads. Articles, First-Generation iPhone Sells for Over $63,000 at Auction. Please try again. Etsy uses cookies and similar technologies to give you a better experience, enabling things like: Detailed information can be found in Etsys Cookies & Similar Technologies Policy and our Privacy Policy. The name that it has is because of the tool which is a railroad spike used for forging the knife. We would recommend it to a friend. remembering account, browser, and regional preferences, remembering privacy and security settings, personalized search, content, and recommendations, helping sellers understand their audience, showing relevant, targeted ads on and off Etsy. What Tools Do I Need for Railroad Spike Projects? Please. The covers are shown for illustration purposes only and are not included in this auction. This is a railroad spike twisting tool. The jaws are designed to grip a spike's head on both sides for twisting. A train spike doesn't make the best . I like the idea that it will accomodate up to four different sizes of stock. Captcha failed to load. They are much more stable when twisting. Unpackaged weight will be about one pound, five ounces. He has been making spike knives and using a pair of vice grips to twist the handles. Thank you and soon you will hear from one of our Attorneys. If you can twist cold spikes with this method i have a job for you. Atlanta, Georgia 30328 | 877.481.5750, If you are interested in low cost blacksmithing tools designed for the beginning or hobby blacksmith or bladesmith please visit my eBay store ( use list view rather than store view or clicking on store name ). The other three I made to handle different tasks. Twisting 5/8" square stock is difficult even under normal circumstances. Weight is about four pounds, 14 ounces. Blacksmith - Railroad Spike Tongs & Hot Twisting Wrench, Blacksmith - Railroad Spike Tongs & Heavy-duty 10-11" Hot Twisting Wrenc, Heavy-duty Railroad Spike Hot Twisting Wrench - SW1, Blacksmith - Regular Railroad Spike Twisting Wrench, Henry Disston & Sons Inc. It also depends on what I have laying around. The middle is 1116", but as I said it was a discarded socket wrench handle. Your credit card or PayPal account will be charged. Perfect! Improved Railroad Spike Twisting Tool - RSTT. This method insures twist goes ALL the way to the spike head and looks nice. So many neat things can be made out of railroad spikes. If this item contains incorrect or inappropriate information please, Relevant Heat again and place the spike in a vice. Cut off 2 " from one end, save small piece. Since some of the products I sell have decorative twists to make them appear less mundane, I thought I'd share my favorite twisting wrenches and some hints on making your own. PLEASE READ:I have several hundred blacksmithing/ironworking related products listed in my eBay store: Poor Boy Blacksmith Tools. The top handle allows for a more smooth and even (non-skewed) twist and it is designed to work best with the head in the wrench as shown. The jaws are designed to grip a spike's head on both sides for twisting. Purchased item: Railroad spike twisting tool. Etsys 100% renewable electricity commitment includes the electricity used by the data centers that host Etsy.com, the Sell on Etsy app, and the Etsy app, as well as the electricity that powers Etsys global offices and employees working remotely from home in the US. This seller usually responds within a few hours. We Found a Deals on Pakistan 4408 Twisted Railroad Spike Fixed Blade Knife at KnifeCountryUSA.com then compare prices, ratings, and reviews over 90+ Online Merchants like SteepandCheep.com. Freed the Brave Wanderer. Send me exclusive offers, unique gift ideas, and personalized tips for shopping and selling on Etsy. Much like this historic spike this barrel will be a stand-out piece that represents all of the hard work that goes into a build. Lladro " Little Pals" No Reserve "repaired, Dept 56 Christmas In The City "ballpark Bleachers. Your credit card or PayPal account will be charged. By Holly Goodman. Begin by drawing out the railroad spike by hand or by using a power hammer. Each end has a hole for easy hanging next to your workstation. Hammer out the spoon using a hollow surface and a piece of sheet metal as shown in the tutorial. The twister worked great! Original Price $135.00 If the wrench being offered below isn't robust enough for you please note I can convert any of the twisting wrenches I have listed from twisting square to twisting roadroad spike heads. A little decoration on this one when the smith put a twist into both supports. The top handle allows for a more smooth and even (non-skewed) twist and it is designed to work best with the head as shown in the photograph. To start, heat your railroad spike and begin hammering the tapered end in on itself to create the end of the tomahawk. David Williams The Iron Age Hardware & Tool Trade Catalog Volume LII No. Click below to begin your paid subscription. However, I ended up with some larger and have converted them similarly. Then heat the spike and put it in a vice and twist the spike to create a decorative spiral effect. Send me exclusive offers, unique gift ideas, and personalized tips for shopping and selling on Etsy. For this project you will need tongs, a hammer, an anvil, a forge, and a grinder. Listing review by tedsinnyc. Electrical or electronic products may pose a risk of fire or electrocution. A closeup of the pocket: Japanese developer Odencat just released Meg's Monster, a cute looking short JRPG with a rather interesting twist. Got some really nice twists on the first use. Valve has updated the Steam Deck Preview update branch to bring with it Steam Deck OS 3.4.6 Beta and it's quite an . File and grind down the twist as needed. (20% off), Sale Price $13.60 Grind again and forge the end of the spike into a point. To me the farrier nippers look nicer, but they are becoming increasing difficult to purchase. Please see my other listings for other metal working books as well. Some trival about railroad spikes: The basic shape of the railroad spike has not change since it was created in 1831 by Robert L. Stevens, son of John Stevens, who is known as the father of American railroading. Try using a different browser or disabling ad blockers. A fixed twisting wrench is an easy tool to make. Hard-working and surprisingly comfortable with an attractive twisted handle. Buyer may request a full refund, including shipping costs to them and back to me.If you are purchasing more than one item please wait for an invoice from me before you do a Pay Now on each item. $1,200/month rent. Weight will be about one pound, 11 ounces and length about 16". railroad track steel for knives. $10.98 $ 10. If purchased at the same time as this set it will most likely not increase your shipping cost significantly as they would fit in the same Priority Mail flat rate box as the tongs and wrench set. You could use a hack saw or better yet a band saw. The opening is made oversize to fit some of the old style spike with the larger heads and works well on the new spikes just fine. Cut with torch till the spike fits loosly but will not turn. Please contact the seller if you have any problems with your order. If one of my shop-made tools ever breaks or malfunctions in use please contact me immediately also. If this item contains incorrect or inappropriate information please, Relevant So many neat things can be made out of railroad spikes. Draw out the spike by hand or by using a power hammer. View Etsys Privacy Policy. The son, at the same time, also developed the standard T-shaped iron rail and the plate used to bolt sections of rail together. Common items are wizard heads, knives, small tomahawks, door knockers, spike crosses and poker handles (do a search on Railroad Spike within eBay or go to /cjsfo ). If you are dissatisfied for any reason please contact me immediate rather than leaving neutral or negative feedback as a knee-jerk reaction. A little touch up with an angle grinder and flap wheel and it's ready to go. Thanks for the info Dave - The blade I forged before twisting turned out ok, twisting before forging was easy also, but since I've not forged that spike yet, there might be issues in forging that would make it better to forge blade first. Railroad Spike Twisting Wrench:Slot sizes: 3/8" (fits most mini railroad spikes) and 5/8" (fits most standard railroad spikes). Craft Supplies & Tools. Drill holes for attaching the hook, and the project is complete! Whether you have a small or large collection of tools, you will be able to make your own wizard face. Includes leather belt sheath. In this video, we are forging a simple railroad spike knife.