Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Using your hands, flatten each piece into a small rectangle, about 4 inches square. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Thank you to our donor Dish Works for your support of PA Eats programming and mission! Roll each ball of dough, then flatten until about 1/2 inch thick. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Im sure shes a lovely individual and Im glad others liked the recipe there are certainly more that did than mine that didnt so it seems the pros would automatically drown out my con regardless but here you are weighing in without adding anything relevant to the conversation. 4 Mix 1 egg with 1 tablespoon water. Im not trying to be critical here on purpose and Im sure the author has all the best intentions but this is a poor example of a true pepperoni roll. Theres so much more to Appalachia than we realize, and when I started talking about the regions similarities instead of differences, like-minded individuals joined the conversation, she notes. Using premade pizza dough from the store makes this recipe a breeze! Cover with a light cloth; let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 1/2 hours. On the stories side of things, the Rolling Pepperoni website acts as a blog to introduce fans to other local folks, like April Graper of Ideal Grain Free Granola, Dr. Lou Martin, professor at Chatham University who is a leader in the field of Appalachian Studies, and Odana Chaney, a poet and sixth-generation Appalachian woman. This is why pepperoni rolls are hard-wired in the emotional DNA of people in the Ohio River Valley. Find Rolling Pepperoni at 6140 Butler St. in Pittsburgh; phone: (412) 929-0235. Spread dough Spread out the dough on a cutting board and cut the dough into 10 equal-sized rectangles. For the record, Ive never met a single person from West Virginia who prefers a day old pepperoni roll over a fresh one. (Do channel your inner pizza maker and slam the dough on the table as often as possible!). A baker named Giuseppe Joseph Argiro, who worked at the Country Club Bakery in Fairmont, West Virginia, developed pepperoni rolls for coal miners to eat for lunch. I at least made it. A 48-ounce package with 36 dough balls package yields 18 pepperoni rolls. Keep your rolls in a draft free location and cover with a tea towel or plastic wrap. Dozens of folks have e-mailed me to reminisce about pepperoni rolls, or to tell me how much they liked the recipe. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Im Kylie, and I started Tried & True to share easy, elegant recipes you can make any day of the week. Brush the rolls with half of the melted butter. I used these for sausage rolls because I was craving them, some with mozzarella in them and some without. What I learned by trial and error is: (1) you don't need any shortening or eggs; (2) use a good bit of sugar for the right taste; and (3) powdered milk keeps the rolls soft and rich-tasting. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. 1 1/2 cups water, barely warm to the touch In the Evening: Begin adding flour to the yeast mixture, one cup at a time, stirring with a wooden spoon between additions. Allow the yeast to bloom (foam) for 10 minutes. I found your directions to be confusing and repetitive. Thunder Herd or Mountaineer? Flatten the dough ball between your palms into a slightly oblong shape. Top pepperoni with a pinch of cheese (approximately 1 tablespoon). Leave us some stars below! The 2021 Fayette County Fair schedule includes a Fireman's Day, live concerts, a carnival with rides and games, and lots of fair food, including fried dough, Sno-cones, cotton candy and more. For more ingredient substitution ideas, see the article below. Dissolve sugar, yeast, salt, and powdered milk in the warm water. Roll the dough out into a rectangle 1/4 inch thick. Maybe you could post your authentic dough recipe? Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Roll the bread up and place onto a cookie sheet. Stacey is the creator of The Soccer Mom Blog, a Houston Texas mom blog that focuses on positive living for women and families. Unfortunately these are not a true representation of pepperoni rolls. After dough rises, roll it out so it is very thin. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until lightly golden. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Some people call these West Virginia Pepperoni Rolls but I just call them delicious! These are so amazingly perfect. A 48-ounce package with 36 dough balls package yields 18 pepperoni rolls. Let stand until yeast is foamy about 5 minutes. I cant think of a more forgiving yeasted dough than this one. Kim, I actually just cooked these from the freezer in my air fryer on 400 for 8-10 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375F. Roll tightly, tuck in ends, and press all edges tightly with your fingertips until well sealed. A process which continues to occur over the next day which is why day old pepperoni rolls taste the best. Cant forget to pair it with the oliverio peppers or its just not the same! As the name suggests, pepperoni rolls are cottony white dinner rolls baked with pepperoni inside. In fact, asking lots of people and searching the internet turned up nothing. Ive tried many online pepperoni roll recipes in an attempt to find one that matches up with the originals and sadly the quest continues. ? this is my dads EXACT recipe too! I enjoyed checking out the rest of your recipes. It was the best way Ive ever ruined my dinner. Which, in the 1920s, was pretty much anyone working in a coal mine. Put in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. I also think that you can add in spicy pepperoni as well for a hint of heat! Who knew that just a few slices of pepperoni would be the star of these easy pepperoni rolls?! The version in my book had less butter. Divide dough into 2 equal balls (about 1 lb each). 1 cup warm water (100 degrees F/40 degrees C) teaspoon white sugar 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast 5 cups all-purpose flour cup white sugar 2 teaspoons salt 2 eggs, beaten cup butter, melted 1 (8 ounce) package sliced pepperoni Directions Stir together 1 cup warm water and 1/2 teaspoon sugar in a small bowl until sugar dissolves. I consider this simple pizza recipe one of the easiest lunch or dinner ideas, ever. Design by Monique B Designs. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! They are great while warm, just fine a day later. Founded in late 2015 by Katt Schuler, the mission of the company is to, create a sustainable model for sharing Appalachian stories across the region: Bake and sell delicious, all-natural pepperoni rolls to fuel story sharing of the Appalachian culture that created the pepperoni roll.. Arrange 4 pepperoni slices on each rectangle and top with a mozzarella cheese stick. Transfer to a cooling rack. Homemade Pepperoni Rolls Recipe are an easy dinner recipe or snack/lunch recipe Print Rate Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 25 minutes Servings: 18 Calories: 174kcal Author: Tammilee Tips Ingredients 18 Frozen Dinner Rolls defrosted 2 Eggs beaten 18 pieces Mozzarella Cheese 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese 36 Pepperoni slices Spread out the dough on a cutting board and cut the dough into 10 equal-sized rectangles. Around here, theyre part of the fabric of daily life, yet each time you have one, its a special occasion. Close the roll and cut in half. Cooked hamburger can be a great alternative to the pepperoni, or even adding in some onions, black olives, and green peppers, too. I enjoyed mine with some ranch . Estimated values based on one serving size. Add Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. My mother would occasionally buy a few from Brownie Bakery, and as a latchkey kid Id come home after school and work my way through one while watching reruns of The Flintstones. Roll dough around pepperoni, pinch the edges closed, and place rolls on the prepared cookie sheet. Add the sugar and salt and stir to dissolve. Theres no right or wrong answer here and Im not the final word on pepperoni rolls by any stretch of the imagination . I just simply shared my thoughts based on my experience. Sprinkle flour over the dough to keep from sticking as you roll. Came out amazing! Eat immediately with a side of marinara for dipping, appetizer, pepperoni roll, pizza, pizza roll. Water that's too hot will kill the yeast (you can tell because there will be no foam). I have been a West Virginian my entire life. Continue adding flour until the mixture is very thick and becomes difficult to stir. Pinch the seams closed. Transfer all of the pizza rolls onto a cookie sheet lightly sprayed with cooking spray or lined with parchment paper. Be aware that the inside of these pizza rolls is going to be very hot. 2023 All Things Mamma. Depending on how many rolls you want (and which size you want them) cut the dough accordingly. Pinch the seams closed. It doesn't have the crazy selection (or crazy crowd) of Penn Mac, but what it does have is a serviceable meat and cheese counter, a good range of olive oils, a few different brands of canned tomatoes, nice pepperoni, and a tiny little produce . These pepperoni rolls are just like the amazingly unique pepperoni rolls found in almost all convenience stores in West Virginia and Southwestern Pennsylvania. To learn more about Rolling Pepperoni, or to order online (including nationwide shipping!) Get them for $3.50 each, or two for $6. The homemade pepperoni rolls at Lampert's Market in McKeesport are beloved by their customers - for a reason. In a small bowl, place 1/4 cup warm water and sprinkle the yeast over it. Once defrosted, your bread can be heated in the oven to refresh the crust and warm the middle. Carefully roll dough rectangles into tight logs. All rights reserved. In cases where multiple ingredient alternatives are given, the first listed is calculated for nutrition. I might be biased, but I think my dad has the best pepperoni rolls recipe out there. Turn out onto a floured board and knead for a couple of minutes. Place rolls on the baking sheet, brush with olive oil, and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Bread and cured meats: two food groups that have been simpatico for about as long as humans have been baking with yeast and using salt to preserve animal proteins. I just have even greater difficulty entertaining your negativity towards me if you have no personal experience with what we are discussing is all. I buy food from here almost every week. You can find out more about our use, change your default settings, and withdraw your consent at any time with effect for the future by visiting Cookies Settings, which can also be found in the footer of the site. Clean out the bowl you originally had the dough in and drizzle it with a bit of olive oil and use a paper towel to evenly coat the inside of the bowl. ( I like them both ways!) Then fold the ends up and pinch those to seal. (412) 219-5663. , A post shared by grub n'nat (@grubnnat) on Sep 4, 2016 at 10:46am PDT. Mix in flour 1 cup at a time until dough is too stiff to mix. We have family in clarksburg as well as Salem. The rich butter soft texture is the perfect environment for all the warm spicy pepperoni oil to leach into as it bakes which helps to fuse the bread and the meat. 112 Northgate Drive Warrendale, PA 15086. However, we have each others back. Place rolls, seam side down, on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Our deli makes authentic prepared foods in-house and sandwiches that are better than homemade. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Your email address will not be published. It great to hear when some people enjoy a recipe but I also want to hear from those who did not enjoy and the reasons why. Combine garlic powder, oregano, and basil in a small bowl. I wasn't satisfied waiting for trips North to eat pepperoni rolls, so I tried over a couple of years to develop a recipe that would be at least similar. Shingle the pepperoni slices over the square, leaving a 1/4-inch border around the dough. Step 2: Mix the garlic powder and melted butter together. If the dough isn't stretching well, cover and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes, then stretch again. Definitely a keeper since my teens can make this easily on their own. I rolled with it though and after it rose I had a very nice stretchy dough. If you want to use an eclectic mixer, knead it on low speed for 5 minutes and finish it off by hand for a minute. The rolls are done when they are crusty and hardened on top. Place cheese and pepperoni on one side, then roll. Separate dough into 8 triangles; pat out each triangle slightly. Brush with the oil and sprinkle with the Parmesan. Pepperoni rolls are populist, crowd-pleasing food in the best of ways. Anytime you feel like it! Stir in the flour, using extra flour or water as needed to make a soft dough that isn't too sticky. Most doughs do tend to have some sugar, and some have milk, still, nothing is set in stone. Today, the convenience factor of pepperoni is still a huge part of their appeal. Turn the raised dough back onto the floured board, and cut it into 12 pieces (I use a scraper/cutter, but a knife works fine.) 6140 Butler Street . I usually never leave reviews, but I had to on these because they are absolutely delicious and so easy to make. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, press Enter to select and submit search query. Place into a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. About Us | Board of Directors |Contact Us, PA Eats is a tax-exempt 501(C)(3) nonprofit organization. Step 2: Add 3 cups of the flour and salt to a bowl and whisk to blend it together. Buckilvrss1@gmail.com. You dont have to be from West Virginia to make a true pepperoni roll from a good recipe. Besides the basicsplenty of pepperoni baked in a single-serving fluffy rollpepperoni rolls have widely accepted variations throughout West Virginia and the eastern Ohio River Valley. For good reason too, theyre amazing. Enjoy a pepperoni roll fresh from the oven just as it is and it's a pure delight, especially the ubiquitous red/orange grease stain where the oil from the pepperoni . Homesick Mountain State expats can order real West Virginia pepperoni rolls from Goldbelly. Starting with a long side, roll the dough up tightly and pinch the seams and ends to seal. bread, cinnamon rolls, lunch, West Virginia. If needed, add the remaining 1/2 cup (64g) flour, bit by bit. Thank you so much for this! Sprinkle one cup of shredded Mozzarella onto each crust. Just a critique. I appreciate honesty when reviewing recipe commentary. Finish assembling: Use a pastry brush to brush tops of the rolls with the garlic herb butter, then sprinkle the rolls with the reserved cheese. All rights reserved. There is also a savory bakery in Pittsburgh devoted not only to the art of the pepperoni roll, but also to connecting cultures by sharing and preserving the Stories of Appalachia: Rolling Pepperoni. Throughout Western PA, youll find them in gas stations and the like, next to other processed grab-and-go foods. Made famous in West Virginia, these Pizza Rolls will become a family favorite! Season each crust with garlic salt and Italian seasoning. Each shelf-stable roll is made with pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, butter, and garlic, and topped with a variety of Italian spices. Its a weird, beautiful cyclical story and Rolling Pepperoni strives to keep the cycle rolling while pushing it to be the best it can be.. Cut into 4 strips and then cut those strips into 6 squares for a total of 24 rolls. First off, you misspelled connoisseur. Slice the pepperoni into 4 inch long sticks (This will dictate how long your pepperoni roll is, so dont cut them too long) and keep covered in the fridge until ready to use. What should be done after baking is to gently run a stick of butter over the top of rolls fresh out of the oven. Just wanted to weigh in. 153. Privacy Policy Disclosure Contact Powered by CultivateWP. Divide the pepperoni into 12 roughly equal piles. Cover each tray with a dish towel and let rise 45 minutes - 1 hour. It seems that West Virginias most famous food has caused many former residents or people who are descendants of former residents to suddenly stand up and claim their famous family recipe online to try to cash in on the craze. Pulse cooked potatoes and 2 12 cups potato water in a blender. 1 package pepperoni 2 tablespoons olive oil 1-2 tablespoons garlic powder Preheat over to 375. People also bring homemade pepperoni rolls to parties and potlucks. Dozens of folks have e-mailed me to reminisce about pepperoni rolls, or to tell me how much they liked the recipe. It was nothing but honest. Top dough with a very small amount of mozzarella cheese and 5-6 pepperonis per slice. Cut each string cheese in half. Cookies collect information about your preferences and your devices and are used to make the site work as you expect it to, to understand how you interact with the site, and to show advertisements that are targeted to your interests. Note: the recipe was updated September 10, 2000.