And tell me something about your personal life.Larry: I was vice president of Holiday and New Life Spas, there were 20 of us all total. The squat racks used at that meet were illegal as they could possibly get accoding to mandates of the IPF. Best Lifts: My middle finger and both the fingers on each side were caught. You should tell the cycling community about your insoles. My team was also lifting, including Eric Stuber, Mac Richards, John Topsoglou, and several others. What Powerlifting Tells Us About The Effects Of PEDs. Haven't watched it yet, but fwiw Bridges benched 529 raw at 181, and Fred Hatfield called him probably the best pound-for-pound powerlifter of all time. Mike broke his prior world record by 87 lb. A week later Mac and I were on a jet headed for Los Angeles. When they had reattached my finger weeks earlier, they put a long pin through the top of the finger. yea i was thinking about trying this because i want to compete eventually in single ply gear and natural. I find that while the weight I lift is less, the intensity is still high and with decent results but I stay sore longer. Simply return it within 30 days for an exchange. This happened to Mike Bridges. Thats huge, because more muscle gives these athletes more power to perform with. Thats total that maybe one other lifter has approached. Why is it so hard? I envied Larry for having such good training partners and a coach like Bob Matz. We know Larry was one of the greatest lifters of all time, but not much is known about many. Just the fact that the TPB is 45lbs makes it not meet all requirements for use. And I won the worlds. No excuses! Joe came alive within months with some lifting that is still admired today. Good luck to all of them. Powerlifting had one federation, one national champion, Gaynor said. If he would choose to use the best gear of today, it would be crazy. I called him and he got me in and said it might never straighten out again. Good luck to all of them. Today special hand surgeons are in every hospital, but in 1980 the best hand surgeon was at Jewish Hospital in Louisville. Las Vegas, NV. Worlds Strongest Man Bill Kazmaier has referred to him as a god in powerlifting, and world-champion powerlifter Don Reinhouldt has said, Larry will always be a legend of all time to us.. Raw Nationals is drug-tested, and the Classic Worlds tests but perhaps not as strictly as the USAPL event. Rogers post about changing the frequency of training seems to fit. Just as we assume that every athlete in other drug-tested leagues isnt clean, we shouldnt here, either. [quote=Brian Mc][quote=Travis Werner]I really hope the IPF overlooks this and lets the record stand. True, Jack. I went to get up but the pin was hooked into the carpet and I couldn't move. [/quote] This means they have to use IPF-approved equipment on the platform. Good post, ya old fart! From then on and into the 80s, Id estimate that about 85 percent of competitive American powerlifters at the national level were using something in massive doses to gain an edge: anabolic steroids, dianabol, testosterone.. (course they also did drug tests on mike but odds are those won't be a problem). Some powerlifting meets drug test, and some dont. We assumed that the manufacturer sent us the approved/correct bars. All Rights Reserved. I used to be able to recover from training each area twice a week. so yes, some records were set with tpb. This was thursday--start making calls. Ivanko bars are awfulthey are outrageously whippy and the non-standard knarling makes setting up for the deadlift quite confusing. Gerlof Holkema 4.4K subscribers Subscribe 4.1K views 2 years ago Mike Bridges (1982) WORLD RECORD (181 lbs /. Best Lifts: some even fresh from factory seem unduly "slick"! Joe "The Lad" Ladnier Mississippi Monster, Free Shipping with a $69 qualifying order. Rank. Assistance work may have consisted of a few sets of curls and little more yet in the opinion of many, me included, Mike can be crowned as one of the top few lifters of all time. There was no money meets back then.Lou: What motivated you back then?Larry: A strong desire to be the best and win all the time at anything. C'mon. Men (65+) 2022 open 28th Worldwide. [/quote] When we discovered the mistake we did the best we could and used the bar that was available. So the facts are the facts guys stop being a bunch of cry BABIES! The movement standards of powerlifting competitions are going to be a significant challenge. Well most know he won nine straight before makinga tactical error when he jumped five pounds on his second attempt on the deadlift, which nullified a third attempt, letting Mark Dimiduk win the1980s nationals and worlds.Larry told me if I would open lighter I would do better, and he was right again.I remember Larry making a 530-pound bench press and a 1,900 total in 1972 in Cincinnati, Ohio, at a body weight of 198. 1985 Mens Senior Nationals Why is it so hard? It wasn't as meteculous years ago when the USAPL was first cutting their teeth after becoming the IPF affiliate. wouldnt u think for a comp that big, that everything would be above board, regardless of what you think the rules should be? Mike was the superlative powerlifter. When planning ahead for the meet today, I had to ask myself if I was capable of creating conditions in which records could be set and make it known to the lifters who entered the meet today whether the conditions in which they would find would or was not condusive to setting any records. The manufacture send Bench bars with the middle knurling missing and no one in the area had the right bars! I came up with a wrestling singlet with legs, but somehow George Langas took the idea and sold them under the name Spanjam, which I distributed.Lou: You had a lot of lifters come stay with you such as Mike Bridges who you said was the strongest man under 200 pounds. Everyone there knows you did your best to make the meet as perfect as it could be, in EVERY aspect. Everyone knows that politics are stupid when it comes between a person and a hard earned accomplishment but if they let it stand then everyone will say "hey, what could have so-n-so done on a Texas Power bar instead of those whippy Ivankos?" It took 29 years for someone to break this raw bench record mark, set by a man that looked like a clerk at Home Depot. First offcongrats M.B on the records. I think it'd be more like shooting the jockey because he was wearing the wrong silks lol! Several people in the area had Ivenko Bars--within 2oo miles I bet there were four available. When you talk about bench pressing, I have to enter Teds name for he is the only other person to do what I have done , bench press in excess of 700lb. Mike Bridges at the Central AAU Sr. Championshipos, April 1978, with a world record 585 squat He broke the world total record 3 times at this meet Lemenager photo The one finally Au- 27, 1978. How many more times will you shoot yourself in the foot? All rights reserved. As for everyone saying ivanko bars are shit because they are so whippy you have to remember they were actually designed for weightlifting. The bar used was the correct weight & configuration. Just start learning the gear/rule variations. Lou: What happened when you lifted against Paul Jordan of Austraila?Larry: Paul was talking about winning the world against my friend and fellow Ohioian Vince Annelo the greatest deadlifter. 3. Dr. Fred Hatfield (october 21, 1942 Died may 14, 2017). Jim. Putt Houston. now with more Bom Chicka Wahwahhhhhh, http://usapowerliftingforum.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?read=12709. Bridges missed three squats of 562 pounds. Lee not only squatted 1003, but he has bench presses 617.4 to give him the highest subtotal in history of power lifting. LOL! I wonder how it would feel to have a 700+ pound bar slide down your back. i'm over 40 and over the past years since i hit 40, i've actually stepped UP my sets and find i'm getting better results, doing my best even as i get older isn't a problem.. the one thing is to keep the challenges coming and step up to them, not think "oh i'm a master, maybe i shouldn't train so hard". Now all the anonymous guys can come on here and bash the IPF for requiring approved equipment for records. Wow. You might say not bad well let me tell you this, maybe 12 super-heavies have done 630 plus, but Sam, at 275, has out-benched at least half of the twelve. Its 2016 and this year marks the end of my first 50 years in powerlifting. Dr Mike lives in st Louis and I know he has some. [quote=Jack Marcus]I do not understand why the IPF is being bashed over this unfortunate incident. Larry was the one getting all of the attention setting American records before World records were official. 1984 Honolulu, Hawaii The bar used was the correct weight & configuration. [/quote] so yes, some records were set with tpb. One official got yelled at for asking about the bar while my boyfriend was checking his rack height later on thursday. Holy shit ! The author and famed Mike Bridges are shown in a light moment at the 1982 World Powerlifting Championships in Munich. Deadlift: 272.5kg/600lb. And he held a special "women's gateway open" with lifters all breaking WR's TOO..WHERE WAS THIS MAN's BRAIN??? I weighed 150 pounds back then.Lou: When you moved to Dayton what was your occupation? I started training at Bob Matzs gym in Toledo, Ohio, with George Crawford and Milt McKenzie, but. I went 760, 810, 832. 1983Mens Senior Nationals Records should not have to be sacrificed because of this. MIKE BRIDGES As a 50-year-old, set records in the squat and bench press. All times are GMT-5. TPB makers stood to gain by keeping the sponsorship fee up, after all, it's a BUSINESS. your body doesn't suddenly break down cause you broke the 40 yo barrier. Just lift it! i just dont like the fact that theres not much assistance. This accident took maybe a second and a half. If I remember, this is not the first time a National Meet in St Louis had the wrong bar. That all said, heres how the average lifters totals (squat, bench press, dead lift) at the competitions compare. (course they also did drug tests on mike but odds are those won't be a problem). 2023 Westside Barbell. When we talk about how PEDs improve performance in sports e.g. Carl said "I realize that rules are rules but, don't shoot the horse because the jockey was overweight." I am aware of the wrong bar that was shipped because I warmed up with it in the warm up room. The division between the drug-tested and non-drug-tested competitions makes powerlifting a unique window into what effect todays PEDs have on an all-important athletic skill: strength. KT Tape is the first-ever kinesiology tape to come in pre-cut strips specifically designed for consumer use. 4. Theyre close enough in the lighter classes, but the heavier guys are differentiated in such a way, for example, that an IPF lifter could be up to 23 pounds heavier than a Raw Unity competitor in an equal weight class. Log in or register to post comments My first personal observation of Mike was at the Heart Of America Powerlifting Contest, an annual event hosted by St. Louis gym owner and bodybuilder George Turner. Whats more, nearly every powerlifter who competed at the U.S. competition and went on to the IPF event saw a significant drop.2. Squat: 455kg/1003b I trained Mac for a year. Following this mind set I've won 10 Masters World Championships and broken 14 World Master's Records; and am also one of only 11 men over 50 to bench over 600 in competition. So I wiped the blood off with my coat and pushed the pin back down my finger. (365.5 kg). Mike Bridges (Powerlifter) Inger Blikra (Powerlifter) Subrata Dutta . All of Mel's lifts are done in extremely strict style. Didn't he check up the rule-book? Gaynor said most powerlifters think PEDs give them about a 7 to 12 percent increase in strength. My training put me at 835-580-800-2215. Hahahahah!!! In response to a question about how his training has changed as he has gotten older, powerlifting legend Mike Bridges. With respect to direct lat work, you will neither find it in the detailed 1982 article by Ron Fernando, disclosing, I was there, front row at the USF SunDome in Tampa covering the contest for The Tampa Tribune when Jeff, Dave was 7 years my elder and my teen years weightlifting idol. Bridges trained all three of the power lifts in the same workout, three days a week. As promised, I left with Mac to coach him at the World Masters in Victorville. No excuses! And there were no bench shirts until 1984, so his bench was raw as they say nowadays. He was inducted into the York Barbell Hall of Fame on June 28, 1998. How about dougs billing squat 985lb. well yeah they were legal when they kept the sponsorship fee up. But when Bridges took the stage later that year at the International Powerlifting Federation (IPF) championships in Gotenborg, Sweden, and fired off the three lifts, his typical strength wasnt there. All who made the world team will still make the world team, all the totals are official. Mike's lifts are pending on the IPF website. Did the meet director think for one moment all the WORLD RECORDS unassailable at the MEN'S NATIONALS? some even fresh from factory seem unduly "slick"! He said, "Okay, just be sure you're at the gate in time." I hope this does not come true. Pacificos best competition lifts are an 832-pound squat, 592-pound bench press (without a bench shirt), a 771-pound deadlift, and a 2061-pound total. View Profile View Forum Posts . also what do you guys think about this every monday he would max out on bench/squat and max out on deads every wednesday. Sign up for our newsletter and get new articles sent straight to your inbox weekly. The fact that Teds total may have been low does not depreciate the astronomical effort he has left us with. Deadlift: 320kg/705.48lb. Yeah he was right. Best Lifts: They had time to get another bar!!! I invited several well-known lifters of that time: the great Mike Bridges, Terry Dillard, Dave Waddington, Steve Wilson, and Mark Chaillet. But when you can squat 1000 anytime you fell like it, who cares about a poor deadlift. best of luck to everyone concerned with this! He has broken over 100 combined Nationals and World Records in his storied career. Can you imagine a man that tiny hoisting a dead lift of nearly 600lb. He trained with Don Cundy the first to make an 800 deadlift, and Jerry Gones who would wear a superhero suit at a meet and a wig. It can be said that in a way he is a carbon copy of Ed coan. Sams donation to powerlifting is stupendous! His name was Mike Bridges. I must have said 5 pounds which was a 2.5kg jump[MCJ2]. He was and is the strongest man under 200 pounds I ever saw. [/quote] 1983 Mens Senior Nationals How about a man who can squat 892.9lb; bench press around 580lb and deadlift in the 800s. the lousy knurling on ivanko bars is now a serious problem and despite their paying of the fee, ipf should seriously consider kicking those bars out UNLESS they can be corrected to have more sufficient knurling. Every so often an athlete shows an exceptional talent in his sport that baffles the mind. way to go!!! ERNIE FRANTZ A pioneer in the sport, Frantz squatted 821 at age 64. The problem was discovered on Thursday. ive seen a little on his training also here it goes. Ed Baueuscroft of California. The events draw the best lifters in the sport of raw powerlifting, which means the men dont use assistance gear.4 As previously mentioned, Raw Unity doesnt drug test. Within three hours I was on the operating table. What was remarkable was the little guys finger was as tiny as you would expect, and with the help of microscopic lenses he worked a miracle. Mike Bridges - 512 lb Raw Bench @ 181 lbs (232.5 @ 82.5 kgs) 2,478 views Aug 19, 2016 35 Dislike Share Save Lexington Plummer 1.52K subscribers From the 1982 USPF Sr Nat'ls, Mike Bridges. As I'm now fast closing on 49 I find my biggest problem is not overtraining, but under-recovering. Let's hope they get confirmed soon. If you are a world class lifter, you are a world class lifter in any fed. [/quote] Will Democrats Rally Behind President Biden In 2024? Many years ago, Mike Bridges was one of the reasons I started powerlifting. I started training at Bob Matzs gym in Toledo, Ohio, with George Crawford and Milt McKenzie, butwon world titles along with Larry.Larry would drive from Dayton to Toledo for four years using a simple 5-3-1 system. Mike's lifts are pending on the IPF website. Former IPF world record holder in the bench press from the USA Mike MacDonald, 69, died Tuesday, January 9th 2018 in Eveleth, Minnesota after a long illness. Guys felt like they had to take them to stay competitive, and that became problematic, Gaynor said. What really happened that day that allowed Mark Dimiduk to win the 1980 SR nationals and that would select the 1980 world team members.Larry: On a second attempt deadlift I wanted a 5 kg jump. It was stuck in about four inches down. Well, Bridges and I were using it as a workout. Actually, I've worked at keeping everything the same since it worked before and seems to be working OK now as well. squatting 804 lb. Nothing worked. He has broken over 100 combined Nationals and World Records in his storied career. I always had good results with squating and deadlifting once a week about 3 days apart each and benching once heavy and once light a week but am considering combining squat and deadlift day and only benching once a week with possibly a third day of arms and shoulders only. The meet director did the best he could given the circumstances and the pass given with the equipment presented for inspection. [quote=Travis Werner]I really hope the IPF overlooks this and lets the record stand. What has Dan done for the game? When powerlifting, you train with three exercises in mind: Bench press, squats, and deadlifts. Dr. Kunitz would go back and forth from one to the other to the other. I really hope the IPF overlooks this and lets the record stand. My finger was bleeding and I was sweating and I had to make that flight.