Usage is subject to our Terms and Privacy Policy. Im very independent person and I really like that for my son ?? There was a trend in the top four girls names all ended in a, as Olivia was followed by Emma, Amelia, Sophia. Something thats not too popular, but at the same time, people wont think, whyd you name your kid THAT? My first son is Elliott Michael, born Oct, 2015. So to compromise, I felt since his middle name came to BOTH of us in a dream, the meaning behind it, our journey it only made sense to go with Maverick Emmanuel , One thing I dislike about his name is the name Rick or Ricky lol we will not be using that for short. The #1 app for tracking pregnancy and baby growth. Maverick is predominantly a boys name, with 0.77% of Mavericks being girls, and 99.23% being boys. Two in one year! 50. Charles Justin Casterline/Getty Images A top 50 name throughout the 20th century, Charles returns to the highest tier of. The name means independent ? He has an older brother, Drake, who went to be with Jesus 6 years ago. On Jan.29 eHealth Saskatchewan announced the top 20 baby names for 2020 for both boys and girls. Republication or distribution of this content is United States. Maverick: It's one of life's mysteries, sir. As for Maverick, that name tied at number 19 on the boys list when it debuted in 2019 (the year the movie Top Gun: Maverickwas supposed to originally be released). For one it was our 18 year old sons favorite movie and the name Maverick was not really a common name. Of course, names wax and wane in popularity; and we should all . [Cain looks through pages of Maverick's records]. Rear Admiral: 'Distinguished.' Tables provide the change in popularity from 2020 to 2021. Maverick is a name that's been used by parents who are considering boy baby names. Boy's name meaning, origin, and popularity, the most helpful and trustworthy pregnancy and parenting information. Rear Admiral: Maverick. Depending on your views, it was either curvaceous or frog-like in appearance. Yet you can't get a promotion, you won't retire, and despite your best efforts, you refuse to die. The below graph, labeled 'Percentage named Maveric' is a graph showing the overall ranking of the boys name Maveric in the USA from 1880-2023. His whole name is Maverick Allen King which translates to a handsome ruler who thinks independently. It was popularized by devil-may-care characters in pop culture, but has more humble roots in agriculture. Names. Dubbed Maverick, it revives a name that was originally used for a sporty compact coupe/sedan Ford sold in the 70s as it attempted to pitch more fuel-efficient vehicles. Related: Most Popular Baby Boy Names in 2021. I named my son Maverick in 2002. The meaning behind our little boys name says it all, an unorthodox or independent-minded person, we can only hope that he will think for himself and make his own choices and to March by the beat of his own drum. Names. [Maverick proceeds to leave Cain's office]. Benefits for Children "I think itll definitely be something that theyll all watch together, my four boys," Kading said. Maverick Popularity 991 Unique 2021 20 Names Similar to Maverick These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Maverick. You may recognize Maverick from the well-known film. Use your account to check and manage your benefits, and much more! My husband is the one who picked out the name he got it from a TV show. It really fits my son as well. . We chose the name Maverick because it is unique and it has Texas roots. Popularity statistics for the given name Maverick Maverick (masculine) in the United States. Popular categories from this store. When a parent becomes disabled or dies, we have programs and benefits to help secure the family's financial future. $160.19. The Western followed the Maverick family Bret, Bart, Beau, and Brent brothers and cousins who traveled through the Wild West by horseback, winning their riches from playing poker. 1 being the highest and most popular, 40337 being the lowest and least used. The fastest-rising names on the US list include Gianna and Nova for girls, and Theodore and Luka for boys. Tusk Sand Lite Front Tire For CAN-AM Maverick Sport 1000R DPS 2022. 'Distinguished.' I came across Maverick on a list and at first I wasnt a fan, but after learning the meaning and thinking about it, I really like it! to the next. Generally, the more popular a name, the smaller the change in popularity. Maverick Addikus is my Christmas babyhe is my 5th sonborn 11months apart from his brotherEaston born in 2016 alsotwo in one year!! Check out our collection of these youngsters ready for adventure. My significant other and I had quite a few boy names but Mavericks meaning is Independent Man. It should go on sale in the third quarter of this year. And i love the name Maverick. My wife and I were just online searching though the list of male names and we agreed on Maverick, its such a lovely name. Forty weeks after the lockdowns were enacted falls about mid-December. Maverick is a name that's been used by parents who are considering boy baby names. What Every Parent Should Know, Enter the Year and Popularity for a List of the Most Popular Names, Top 20 Im sure there are plenty of 80s babies like us who were huge Top Gun fans and part of it came from there.". Maverick Name Popularity View New Name: Girl: Boy: Boys vs Girls 99.23% Male 0.77% Female Maverick is predominantly a boys name, with 0.77% of Mavericks being girls, and 99.23% being boys. Hes already watched ['Top Gun'] with us, we try to incorporate as many of the best old movies as we can.". My husband and I tend to be Mavericks and go against the grain; also, he was born in South Dakota. Catch up with the Baby Names Podcast. We then looked up the name and it was just so strong and powerful that it stuck. Thats our intention for his character. His age is easy to peg with his recent popularity, but that doesnt necessarily mean Maverick wont age well. The popularity of names comes and goes, as anyone born in the mid-1970s probably knows a lot of Jasons and Jennifers, neither of which made the list for 2020. Goose, however, appears to have not made it on the list. Maverick is a 8 letters name with syllables. For each year, rank 1 indicates the most . Name of a Californian place where waves are very high. Related: 200+ Best Middle Names for Boys. He definitely shines with his name. See all categories. My husband wanted a short middle name so we decided on Gage again a not so common name. Mamas with kids named Maverick also have kids with these names. Check out our collection of them. What is the strange-looking black-colored aircraft Maverick is test-piloting at the start of the film? Already receiving benefits? Get Your Household Ready for the Coronavirus Disease, 2020, 5 Things You MUST Buy While Youre Pregnant, Easiest Treatments for Pregnancy Morning Sickness. Sports fans may also recognize the name from the Dallas Mavericks, a professional basketball team. 1890 1900 1910 1920 1930 1940 1950 1960 1970 1980 1990 2000 2010 0.400% 0.320% 0.240% 0.160% 0.080% 1880 2021. If you do not yet have a Torstar account, you can create one now (it is free), Copyright owned or licensed by Toronto Star Newspapers Limited. We picked the name because of the meaning. Kate Kading of Casey, Iowa may have to wait until her 19-month-old son Maverick Kading is older before introducing him to the "Top Gun" movies that inspired his name. Find inspiration in these baby boy name lists featuring the name Maverick. Nationally, Maverick has gone from 864th most popular baby boys name in 2000 to 47th most popular last year. Popularity statistics for the given name Maverick in Quebec, Canada. I love that its unique and a cool name, I dislike that EVERYONE thinks we named him that because of Top Gun. expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Toronto According to the Social Security Administration, thetop ten baby boy names in Iowa last year were: The top ten baby girl names in Iowa last year were: Nationally, the SSA reported that the top ten baby boy names in 2021 were: The top ten baby girl names nationally were: Grace Altenhofen is a news reporter for the Des Moines Register. Pilots that need to sleep, eat, take a piss. Nameberry is a registered trademark of Nameberry, LLC. Emily, in number five, broke the trend. But Im sure the movie didnt hurt. Posts with the name Maverick: 100 Cute First and Middle Names for Boys; Cute First and Middle Name Combinations; Unique Names for Boys You Won't Hear On The Playground; Modern Americana Baby Names . My husband and I were reading through a list of random baby names and that was the only boy one that stuck! We was trying to find a name that started with an M. This was perfect. More: 114 fun things to do in Iowa from family-friendly places to visit to food and music, "If you look up the name, 'strong-willed, independent person'is the meaning," Fox said. '", Tom Cruise starred as fighter pilot Pete "Maverick" Mitchell in the original 1986 action movie "Top Gun,"which follows Maverick as his reckless confidence puts him at odds with other people in his fighter school. So I wanted a strong boys name. I chose it because it is a masculine and strong name that isnt too common. Rear Admiral: These planes you've been testing, Captain, one day, sooner or later, they won't need pilots at all. It galls me to say it, but for reasons known only to the Almighty and your guardian angel, you've been called back to TOPGUN. to colleagues, clients or customers, or inquire about Maverick is a boys' name that comes from an English word meaning "an unorthodox or independent-minded person." "Lo and behold, like seven years later we named our kid after Maverick.". We choose maverick James so he has the same initials as his dad who has been deployed since I was 14 weeks pregnant and wont be back until the baby is 3 months old. "When we were dating, we dressed up as Maverick and Goose from Top Gun (for Halloween)," Fox said. Choose a name's gender, popularity, length and category to find the perfect name for your baby: What is the meaning of the name Maverick? Anyone can read Conversations, but to contribute, you should be a registered Torstar account holder. With Tom Cruise, Val Kilmer, Miles Teller, Jennifer Connelly. After thirty years, Maverick is still pushing the envelope as a top naval aviator, but must confront ghosts of his past when he leads TOP GUN's elite graduates on a mission that demands the After thirty years, Maverick is still pushing the envelope as a top naval aviator, but must confront ghosts of his past when he leads TOP GUN's elite graduates on a mission that demands the ultimate sacrifice from those chosen to fly it. But there was some exciting movement on the boys' side, with a pair of new names - Levi and Asher - entering the top ten. Any year after 1879 Ford sold 13,258 Mavericks in the final three months of 2021, and 2,311 of those were hybrid. Trendy boy names are in demand after seeing a meteoric rise in popularity. Many love this association and see McCains legacy as an incredible tie to the name. It's :Top Gun Maverick. With his rocketing popularity and endless energy, its no surprise that parents cant stop loving on Maverick. And maverick was one of them and my oldest nephew liked the name. About Baton Rouge General Medical Center year to the next. UnfortunatelyMaverick is my angel babyhe passed on 10-7-17 from a brain aneurysm ??? After thirty years, Maverick is still pushing the envelope as a top naval aviator, but must confront ghosts of his past when he leads TOP GUN's elite graduates on a mission that demands the Read allAfter thirty years, Maverick is still pushing the envelope as a top naval aviator, but must confront ghosts of his past when he leads TOP GUN's elite graduates on a mission that demands the ultimate sacrifice from those chosen to fly it.After thirty years, Maverick is still pushing the envelope as a top naval aviator, but must confront ghosts of his past when he leads TOP GUN's elite graduates on a mission that demands the ultimate sacrifice from those chosen to fly it. popular, and so forth. The sequel has been much-anticipated for Fox, who shares a love of "Top Gun" with her husbandMichael. Fox believes at least some of this recent rise in popularity can be attributed to the new "Top Gun: Maverick" movie. This is my lil Angel babyhe was born December 25, 2016. We picked Maverick randomly! All fields are required *. Babycenter.com released its top ten baby names for 2015. The most the names popularity ever grew to was 0.081%, in this year alone more than 3000 boys were named Maverick. Bringing a rebirth of a classic name and the creation of a new choice for truck customers, the all-new Ford Maverick makes its debut on June 8 with the help of actress Gabrielle Union. 2023 Nameberry.com.Nameberry is a registered trademark of Nameberry, LLC. All Maverick is ranked #47 most popular baby boy name in 2021, Maverick is ranked #1991 most popular baby girl name in 2021, Find the perfect name in 5 min, it's FREE, In 2021, 99% of babies named Maverick were boys. By rank By percent used By times used. Way before Ford put the Maverick name on a compact car. Free shipping. Are you looking for a sibling name for Maverick? DEARBORN, Mich., June 3, 2021 - Months of rumors, spy shots and speculation have all led to this moment. ", More: 7 of the Guinness World Records set by Iowans include most premature twins and shortest bull ever. Also listed is their their rank compared to other 'M' names, their over all rank among all boy names, the total number of baby boys expected to be given this name in 2023, and the total percentage of boys given this name. "Its funny how its such a trend in names, they pop up more and more.". This name definitely fits my son! Nothing seriously suggests it will be sold in Europe, where it would dwarf Peugeot and. We compared ranks for both years only if a name was in the top 1000 in at least one of the 2 years. I came across Maverick and was in love! 1920 & later According to data from the Social Security Administration, Maverick has been in the top 100 most popular Iowa boys names since 2015 placing at 93rd in 2015, 75th in 2016,25th in 2017,23rd in 2018,11th in 2019, ninth in 2020and 14th in 2021. We couldnt wait for it to come out," Fox said. Only man to shoot down three enemy planes in the last 40 years. Yet here you are: Captain. If you like how Maverick sounds, you might also like these names that sound like Maverick. Other Regions. Mostly given to boys, Maverick is a standout name which flawlessly symbolizes any free spirit. Top Gun: Maverick: Directed by Joseph Kosinski. The popularity of names comes and goes, as anyone born in the mid-1970s probably knows a lot of Jasons and Jennifers, neither of which made the list for 2020. Rear Admiral: Well, the navy doesn't see it that way. @babynamesdotcom. Maverick has been used in the United States ever since 1957, with over 27668 boys given the name in the past 200 years. In the United States there have been a total of 27456 males named Maverick, and 212 females given the name Popularity of Maverick by state: By rank By percent used By times used. A word name pick with adventure in his veins, Maverick has taken preschool rosters by storm in recent years. 1960 & later There were 69 baby girls named Olivia. Chevrolet; Open Box/Returned Items; Other; Seller feedback (33,059) We talked about the same and at first I really didnt like it but then I kept saying it and them boom I fell in love with the name maverick and now that hes born the name fits him perfectly ? He is on the fence still, but I told him to think about it because it grows on you! Discover the most famous people named Maverick including Maverick Baker, Maverick Leonard, Maverick LaRue, Maverick McKinney, Maverick Mcneilly and many more. June 3, 2021, 7:00 AM . Check the popularity of your name over time. We love everything about it. 1980 & later Mostly given to boys, Maverick is a standout name which flawlessly symbolizes any free spirit. Top 1000 Listed below are the 20 most commonly used baby names begining with M. These boys names are ordered by their overall popularity of recently named babies in the United states. Years. We chose Maverick because it was unique enough and liked the meaning of independent thinker. CARFAX 1-Owner. Apple Mac operating system, released in 2013. a roller coaster at Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio. 2000 & later Mama Natural book cover right week by week guide to pregnancy and childbirth. Way, way before the new 2022 Ford Maverick pickup was even contemplated. I must of had something to prove huh? 42. These variations might include Maverik, Mavrick, or Mavric. The top ten baby girl names remained relatively constant since last year, with the exception of a few minor swaps. More: Your guide to Des Moines' Downtown Farmers' Market from parking to food and more in 2022, "Theres one other little boy I know from our area whose middle name is Maverick and they call him Maverick," Kading said. Maverick is a gender-neutral name with American origins. Top 100 Maverick is currently #47 on the baby names popularity charts in the U.S. in 2021. 0 Comments. I loved Maverick because its means an independent minded person who doesnt follow the crowd. No Accident or Damage Reported. It fits him well. In this selfless act, he would not leave before those who were captured before him. Newspapers Limited, 8 Spadina Avenue, 10th Floor, Toronto, ON M5V 0S8. Top Girl Names for US 1 Olivia 2021 2 Emma 2021 Now, with the base, hybrid-powered 2022 Ford Maverick launching with a sub-$20k starting price and an estimated 40 city miles-per-gallon rating, those customers will have an undoubtedly appealing new option. Bennett tied at number 17 on the list of boy names and Aurora debuted at number 12 on the list of girl names. Name Popularity Over Time. permissions/licensing, please go to: www.TorontoStarReprints.com. I love that my husbands name (Eric) is in Maverick. The plan isn . At 1h12'10" Coyote is in G-LOC, releases the stick and his aircraft falls towards the ground. If there's any movie that deserves to be seen in the theaters with big screens and booming speakers. Names. The Fox family plans to see the movie in theaters giving Maverick a chance to see his namesake on the big screen. He loves loud things, he loves to go fast, he loves dirt, everything.". I wouldnt change his name for nothing. Meaning independent, Maverick is distinct in sound and bursting with spirit, the perfect name for a lively little one. "Popularity change" is the difference in ranks from one The final count will be completed in March. You may recognize Maverick from the well-known film Top Gun starring Tom Cruise. Maverick has reach the top 10 most popular boys name 0 times, and has reached the top hundred names 0 times. Introduction; Browse Names; Advanced Search; Popularity . Meaning independent one, Maverick is an American name. The 1986 blockbuster Top Gun and its 2022 sequel Top Gun: Maverick kept Maverick in the limelight with its lead character Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, a rebellious fighter pilot played by Tom Cruise. Catch em while theyre hot, as they go fast! Wait with him while he packs his gear. Top Baby Names 2021; Top Baby Names 2022; How to Pick a Baby Name; Most Popular Baby Names; Baby Names by Letter; To order The second most popular boy name was Jack. I hope no one ever calls him Rick, haha. According to statistics, Maverick is ranked 47th most popular boy name in the US, in 2021. Maverick was the nickname of former presidential candidate and senator John McCain, an American war hero who refused early release while held as a POW per military code. From musical meanings to those with brawn and bravery, meet them with us. Personal Use. Parents turn to Instagram, 'Empire' for 2015 baby names. My husband loves westerns and I love names that are different. According to our statistics, 98.54% of babies called Maverick were boys, 1.46% of babies called Maverick were girls. Pilots that disobey orders. Maverick is a boys' name that comes from an English word meaning "an unorthodox or independent-minded person." It was popularized by devil-may-care characters in pop culture, but has more humble roots in agriculture. The number of live births registered in 2019 was 14,668. See all categories. . "My husband and I are 80s babies, and we were at dinner one night when I was early on in my pregnancy and we were talking about baby names,"Tiffany Fox of Grimes said. Name Popularity Ratings Comments Namesakes. At the rate it's growing, Maverick soon won't seem like such a maverick anymore. Generally, the more popular a name, the smaller the change in popularity. Download The AppDaily pregnancy & newborn updates with our FREE app, Maverick is a gender-neutral name with American origins. 1 being the highest and most popular, 40337 being the lowest and least used. Popular Names by Birth Year. Find your bookmarks in your Independent Premium section, under my profile. See the popularity of the girl's name Maverick over time, plus its meaning, origin, common sibling names, and more in BabyCenter's Baby Names tool. My husbands favorite basketball team is the Dallas Mavericks so I suggested the name Maverick. The baby girl names that did not carry over from 2019 were Chloe, Ella, Everly, Hannah, Brielle, Violet and Aria. Everything Birthday is a free public resource site, and is not affiliated with the United States government or any Government agency. Heard first in a 1950s James Garner western TV series, and then as the Tom Cruise character in, ring name of Scott Cameron Despres, American pro wrestler, stage name of Michael Stafford, English,Irish singer,songwriter, former stage name of Anders Lundstrm, Swedish musician, son of Christian singer Meredith Andrews and Jacob Sooter, son of TV personality Briana Renee of "Little Women: LA", son of TV personalities Maci Bookout and Taylor McKinney of "Teen Mom", American rancher, lawyer and politician, originator of the term "maverick", son of Olympian Michael Phelps and Nicole Phelps, brand name of Internet imbecile and idiot Logan Paul's merchandise. Other Regions. A change in popularity is indicated by the difference, either an increase or decrease, in ranks from one year Its a hearty solid name and that seem to fit our little man. What is the popularity of the name Maverick? the smallest change in popularity. She can be reached at galtenhofen@registermedia.com or on Twitter @gracealtenhofen. Famous people named Maverick are . We call him Mav. Although the Mavericks were loners and gamblers, they were always ethical, honest, and conscientious. Introduction; Browse Names; Advanced Search . Combat medals. Other Regions . I chose my sons name because of our pregnancy journey. Rear Admiral: This isn't a joke. Maverick first appeared in the Social Security Administration's top 1,000 baby names in 1958, shortly after the show Maverick started. Popular categories from this store. Star Newspapers Limited and/or its licensors. Mix it up with these names that are a variation of the name Maverick. I also loved the meaning behind it as being a feee thinker. From across the pond, Ford's recently-introduced Maverick trucklet looks tailor-made for the United States. Regina It appears there are a lot of Top Gun fans who might have been really, really, disappointed when the sequel to the 1986 movie, which was supposed to come out last summer, was delayed due to COVID-19. Service History. $137.72. After thirty years, Maverick is still pushing the envelope as a top naval aviator, but must confront ghosts of his past when he leads TOP GUN's elite graduates on a mission that demands the ultimate sacrifice from those chosen to fly it. Rear Admiral: You are dismissed, Captain. The future is coming, and you're not in it. 1998 2000 2002 2004 2006 2008 2010 2012 2014 2016 2018 0.050% 0.040% 0.030% 0.020% 0.010% 1996 2021. This was also the first time in more than 10 years that the name Alexander did not make the list of top boy names. "We ended up going with that name and hes really proven to be a Maverick, hes the epitome of a boy. See How the Popularity of a Name has Changed Over Time! Indeed, Liam appears to be unstoppable, as Liam was once again the most popular name for baby boys for the 11th year in a row. The original Ford Maverick was a compact coupe and sedan from 1970-77. We intend for our son to embody this energy in how he shows up in the world. We wanted something unique but not too weird. It was popular early in its life as. Social Security is with you from day one, which makes us the source for the most popular baby names and more! In this selfless act, he would not leave before those who were captured before him. It fell out of popularity for several decades after that, but reappeared in the '90s and has been slowly climbing ever since, breaking into the top 100 in 2017. The son of Nick 'Goose' Bradshaw (Anthony Edwards) and Carole Bradshaw ( Meg Ryan ), Rooster . View Sitemap. The top baby names for the USA in 2021 feature Olivia as the Number 1 name for girls, and Liam at the top of the list for boys. Thats because a total of 37 families chose to name their son Maverick in 2020, coming in number 8 in the Saskatchewan top 20 baby names of 2020. The final lists will be completed in March and released online. There is a MotoGP motorcycle rider named Maverick Vinialles from Spain and the second I saw his first name I fell in love. Miles Teller as Lt. Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw. More than 30 years later, Cruise is reprising his rolein the sequel, "Top Gun: Maverick. Maverick Meaning and Origin. Popularity statistics for the given name Maverick in the United States. Provided by Ceros.com. Americans have always loved an independent thinker. Hes as feisty as his name suggests, always looking for some new feat to overcome whether its venturing through the woods or soaring on the swingset. Lighter = More PopularDarker = Less PopularBlank States = Few to None. Through these years over 40337 unique total names have been given to boys living in the United States so far. For 4-year-old Maverick Fox, the "Top Gun"-inspired name could not be more fitting. Location: Beavercreek, OH (44 miles from Cincinnati, OH) Mileage: 10,877 miles Body Style: Pickup Color: Blue Engine: 4 Cyl 2.0 L. Description: Used 2022 Ford Maverick Lariat with AWD, Keyless Entry, 18 Inch Wheels, and Alloy Wheels. Hes just like his dad ? This copy is for your personal non-commercial use only. Pete Mitchell's call sign in the popular film "Top Gun", played by Tom Cruise. "Weve been anticipating it all through COVID when they kept delaying it. Top 500 They can also be totally out there and fun. We came up with the name Maverick from the movie Top Gun with Tom Cruise. You should be at least a two-star admiral by now, if not a senator. He is very proud of his name. Your kind is headed for extinction. During this year, 2940 babies were named Maverick, which was 0.0813% of the baby boys born in the USA that year. See our list of them. Boy pet names can suit your critters looks or personality. The eHealthSask.ca website shows that Olivia bumped Emma off the top spot in 2014, after it had been in the top spot since at least 2010. This does not include Saskatchewan mothers who gave birth outside of the province. This name seemed perfect for us. That battery recharges while the vehicle is driving. Meaningful boy names offer a depth unlike any other. Miles Teller stars as Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw. Grayson, Hudson, Asher, Liam, Sawyer, Maddox, Wyatt, Carter, Ryder, Mason, Easton, Lincoln, Mason, Gunner, Wyatt, Michael, Maddox, Sawyer, Liam, Ethan, Aiden, Carter, Lincoln, Carson, Ava, Madison, Marlanie, Scarlett, Evelyn, Sophia, Madeline, Ella, Avery, Alivia, Harper, Charlotte, Sports media personality and longtime friend of LeBron James, Texan rancher in the 1800s; reportedly the originator of the word "maverick", See name meaning, origin, popularity, and related names. Maverick. How popular is the name Maverick? Names at the top of a list have the greatest change in popularity, while those at the bottom have the smallest change in popularity. The list is issued each May by the Social Security Administration. Canada . His full name is Maverick Joseph Anthony. . Take him to his quarters. advertisement Join now to personalize . We tabled it for a while then we began to see the name everywhere. Meaning "an independent man who avoids conformity," this name is for those who go against everyday norms. We offer a wide range of resources for families with children. Lol. So my oldest nephew my son maverick. "I just think its a really cool name period, even without the 'Top Gun' reference," Fox said. We compared ranks for both years only if a name was in the top Colton. . Take a look back at the life and career of Tom Cruise in photos. The word "maverick" comes from Samuel Maverick, a Texas cattle rancher in the 1800s who refused to brand his cattle. I actually dont remember how we picked Maverick but I tried lots of other names while pregnant and just kept coming back to that one. And you won't believe where some parents are turning to for name inspiration. My husband also has an affinity for all things western and Maverick fell in line with that. Several of the most popular baby boy names from 2019 did not reappear on the 2020 top 20 list, including Emmett, Logan, Ethan, Asher, Thomas and Jackson.