Should you tell anyone about it? Enter Lydia Lassila. This work involved working closely with a mental trainer, Jeffrey Hodges, who Lassila credits with helping her define, and see, the vision she needed to make a comeback. I dont think having children really changed how I operated my business, but it did inspire my next line of products in BodyICE Woman and BodyICE Kids. We use cookies and similar technologies to provide the best experience on our website. Please call 1800 070 535. From then on, you can then use Sign In with Google to access your subscription and Google will do the billing for the subscription and process your payments. A few days later I arrived home and so did my milk! [14][15] In 2022, Lassila joined Seven Network's commentary team for the 2022 Winter Olympics. I shared not only what I had gone through to reach the pinnacle in my sport but also the why and how. It is amazing what you can achieve by opening up that dialogue and asking the right questions, [such as], how did you do it? Im having this issue at the moment, what would you do in this situation? she said. I broke new ground and became the first woman to perform the quad twisting triple, a trick only men have mastered. We quickly found that deciding baby names was not an easy task, particularly in our family with two different cultures coming together. Like me, Alisa had taken every precaution throughout her pregnancy, and as I was approaching a similar stage in my own pregnancy, it made me sit back and realise that I had this person inside meit wasnt just a bump on the outsideand there were a lot of things that could go wrong. It was totally depressing. But more on that shortly. "Thats when destiny opened up before me, and a new challenge was presented one that would change my life forever. About six months before the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy, Lassila injured her knee. Lydia capped Australia's most successful Winter Olympics with a spectacular jump that delivered the aerial skiing gold medal. How do stay healthy and injure-free, lets break that one down. Our vast range of ice packs can also be used as soothing heat packs. Lassila's Olympic history. Four years earlier I blew my knee,[so] was I afraid that the same thing would happen again, especially when the media are bringing it up every five minutes? At BodyICE we make area-specific ice and heat packs that help people recover from their injuries using natural cold or heat therapy. Ierodiaconu battled back to compete in the 2006 Turin Winter Olympics, but unfortunately, while in second place after the first round she landed awkwardly and suffered a second ACL rupture in the same knee. Thanks to Trish, Lydia, GESAC and all our sponsors and attendees for helping to make this wonderful event such a success, as we raised funds for the Leukaemia Foundation. But at age 16, an injury ended her gymnastics career. Free to sign up. At the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Lassila won gold in the aerials, getting Australia's second gold medal for the games after snowboarder Torah Bright won gold in the halfpipe, also at Cypress Mountain. In June 2005, Lassila suffered a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and underwent knee reconstruction[1] using an allograft. "[After that], I realised I didnt need to work harder. Knee Pain Treatment, Injuries & Conditions; When I got home I also began lobbying for the water ramp that I had briefly discussed with Australias Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, over the phone in the immediate aftermath of my gold medal jump. We set the goal: win the Olympics. Even when she is not across the other side of the world, she still conducts most of her business meetings over Skype. RRP: $29.95. New customers only. Theres also now a BodyICE childrens line of products, with Lassila again drawing inspiration from her own experience as a mother to create the womens and childrens ranges. While it was all new for me, it was also new for Late and Im sure he didnt know what to expect. When she became pregnant with her first child, she applied the same principles that had served her so well in her training focus, structure and outcomes. Lassila had ruptured her anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and undergone knee reconstruction surgery in June 2005, only to have her knee collapse again during the qualifying round for the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy. Triage number: 1300 IM HURT. Well, one of them was how am I going to stay healthy and injury-free, something that plagued me my whole career? I also met, on a number of occasions, with coaches and support staff from other sports where athletes had returned as mums, in order to gain an insight into what to expect when returning to elite sport as a mother. But Grace Brennan knew there was so much more nuance to the situation. ", "Australian Survivor's Lydia Lassila blindsided in first tribal council since the merge", Olympic champions in women's freestyle skiing, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Lydia_Lassila&oldid=1125073349, Australian people of Greek Cypriot descent, Freestyle skiers at the 2002 Winter Olympics, Freestyle skiers at the 2006 Winter Olympics, Freestyle skiers at the 2010 Winter Olympics, Freestyle skiers at the 2014 Winter Olympics, Freestyle skiers at the 2018 Winter Olympics, People educated at Methodist Ladies' College, Melbourne, Recipients of the Medal of the Order of Australia, Articles with dead external links from January 2018, Articles with permanently dead external links, Use Australian English from November 2011, All Wikipedia articles written in Australian English, Olympics.com template with same ID for Olympic.org, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Skier & Entrepreneur and Motivational Speaker, 2010 Sport Australia Hall of Fame, 'The Don' Award, 2010 Governor's Award for the Victorian Sportsperson of the Year, 2010 Victorian Female Athlete of the Year- Kitty McEwan Award, 2010 Ski and Snowboard Australia Athlete of the Year, This page was last edited on 2 December 2022, at 01:48. I sat there in shock, realising of course that I had won, but just absorbed the wave of satisfaction that spread through my body knowing I had finally achieved what I had wanted for so long Olympic gold." I can be competitive for another round. When Lydia Lassila won the women's aerials title at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, Australia's gold rush was showing no signs of ever stopping. Lydia Lassila OAM (ne Ierodiaconou) (born 17 January 1982) is an Australian Olympic freestyle skier gold medalist who competed in the 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014 and 2018 Winter Olympic Games. Theyre all important things its not fair to say theyre not all-important.. As usual, it wasnt difficult to decide what I wanted, but coming up with a plan as to how was going to be more challenging. Lassila had a combined score of 214.74, beating second placed Li Nina with 207.23 points. Get 10% off your first order. I had a second chance to make my childhood dream of being an Olympic champion a reality. Between 2002 and 2005 she was ranked second in the World. You can see Lydia chatting with I Dont Know How She Does It below (post continues after video): I cant say I enjoyed being pregnant. Truly. We acknowledge and honour the elders - past, present, and future - of the Cadigal People, the traditional custodians of the land Kiindred is on. I was hoping that retirement feeling would come but it kind of never did. However, taking inspiration from compatriots and teammates Jacqui Cooper and Alisa Camplin, both of whom have suffered similar knee injuries, the then 24-year-old Lassila vowed to return to the sport when she recovered. No jumping of course, but I trained at the VIS through my pregnancy to keep as fit as possible with the mindset that I was just on maternity leave and that I would be returning stronger and better than ever towards my campaign to Sochi. Likewise, Lassila says her sporting achievements would not have been possible without a solid team backing her up. The goals have changed. So what I did was I started or I didnt intend to finish a business degree, I just started picking off subjects I was really deficient in and just started learning about all the things I needed to learn about to make the business work, to help me get it up and running.. But once your delivery is activated, youll get the next edition, hot off the press. And it happened exactly how I planned it to, she said. But Lydia smiled, blew kisses to the crowd, then hugged her Belarussian friend Alla Tsuper, 30 years old and a fellow mother, who was due to be crowned Olympic champion. To have complete strangers come up to me and say how much my win inspired them has filled me with pride. There are elements that we cant control. I felt helpless. So in sport, if there was a component that an athlete, a technical skill they were doing better than me, if I felt comfortable enough, Id go and ask them, hey, what do you feel when you are doing this certain skill? Or if I wasnt comfortable, I would get the video of them and I would slo-mo it and break their technique down, take what I liked out of it and make it my own., NOW READ:Data startup Fusion Sport secures $3 million for platform supporting 90% of elite Aussie athletes, including AFL premiers West Coast Eagles, NOW READ:Got brand goals? A Melbourne-based Certified Carbon Neutral sport and wellness brand that makes area-specific ice and heat packs to help people recover from injuries using natural cold or heat therapy-specific ice. At Cypress Mountain, the venue for aerials at the 2010 Vancouver Games, Lydia started by taking ninth place in the qualifications on 20 February, making her one of the 12 finalists. However, they didnt exist, and I soon discovered Alibaba and the wide world of Chinese manufacturing. BodyICE has played an integral part in Lydias recovery and management of all kinds of injury, helping her reach the pinnacle of her sport. SmartCompany is the leading online publication in Australia for free news, information and resources catering to Australias entrepreneurs, small and medium business owners and business managers. Each payment, once made, is non-refundable, subject to law. People with significant back, neck, shoulder and hip pain. Leaving no stone unturned, and using the highest quality of products, Lydia coupled the traditional ice bag with elastic neoprene compression straps all carefully designed to fit specific joints and areas. The Treatment Never be over-awed by your competitors. I wanted to achieve my potential, I wanted to reach all those goals and knew that perhaps I needed to change something. Unable to sleep on the plane flight back to Australian from Torino every time I closed my eyes, the nightmare of what had happened just kept replaying over and over again Lassila got out a journal and started sketching what would become her first range of BodyICE products: ice and heat packs that could fit on any joint or area, and stay there. Our mission is to make it easy for parents to make Three years ago, in a pre-COVID world, Aussie farmers were facing the most devastating drought in recent history. Lydia was the perfect patient, and worked extremely HARD on her exercise program! Factbox on Australia's Lydia Lassila who won the gold medal in the women's freestyle . Lydia was able to move on from this crisis point to secure a bronze medal at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics. Despite the unclean landing, the very high degree of technicality of her jump earned Lydia a bronze medal. "I was determined to be no.1." A lot of women have said to me (including my own mother) that being pregnant was the best theyve ever felt, but Im not sure I share that view. I love working from home or wherever my laptop is and the lifestyle that provides. At that, Lassila, one of Australia's toughest competitors, having fought back from an horrific knee injury at the Turin Winter Olympics to win gold at the Vancouver Olympics four years later . THE CORE: Why its important and why clinical reformer at MY PHYSIO GESAC can improve it! BodyICE acknowledges the culture and traditions of our First Nations people and their continuing connection to our land and community. COVID Update: My Physio GESAC and Brighton Open for Essential Treatment! I was ready." Its tough, we know that. I compete for Australia from time to time and Ive just finished project managing a house build. But there was one major incident in the final two months of my pregnancy that really highlighted that fact: That was the tragedy surrounding Alisa Camplins baby boy, Finnan. Phone: (03) 9570 7181 So, when Im doing something with the kids, I try to be fully present, and the same goes when Im working. Alisa was 32 weeks into her pregnancyjust four weeks ahead of mewhen she began to feel unwell, and after a number of tests it was determined that the right side of Finnans heart looked too big, but he was still too underdeveloped to be delivered early in order to have surgery. 07 5572 0133. We promise not to clutter your inbox. AFTERPAY AVAILABLE. Apart from her sporting medals, Lassila has also received other honours and awards: Lydia is the subject of a feature documentary film called The Will To Fly that chronicles her life and sport pursuits. This I will always be proud of," she explained. Of course Ive felt better! Lydia won the World Cup in 2009 and came into the Games in top form after setting a world record score in January. But all planning aside, I dont think any mother is ever fully prepared for childbirth and what your body is going to experience during that process. Source: Supplied Hard work! As Lassila worked through her recovery and began to set her sights on competing again in the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Canada, she worked with Hodges on using the concept of future self, which she described as a really powerful mental skill and training tool. If there was a minor hiccup, you could easily adjust. The injury took her out of the Olympics and put her on the sidelines of her sport for 16 months. Lassila went on to compete at the Vancouver Winter Olympics, winning gold, and again at the Sochi games in 2014. We know that more than half of adolescent athletes have played the sport when injured, and almost as many athletes report hiding or downplaying an injury so they could stay in the game. The Will to Fly is available now from slatterymedia.com.au I graduated from university with a Bachelor of Applied Science, which was not going to help me with anything running my business. Sure, there was a whole range of functional carriers out there, but where were the fashionable ones? She began her World Cup circuit in 2001/2002 and finished 8th in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. Many Australians would know the 35-year-old Melbourne-born athlete from her triumphs representing Australia in aerial skiing in four Winter Olympics. She then took two consecutive golds, in Deer Valley in February, and in Moscow in March. Contenders, competing in the fifth season of the competitive reality television series Australian Survivor as part of the Champions tribe. Right now, Im going to go back to future Lydia, the Lydia that I want to be, the one thats going to nail these next two jumps and come home with Olympic gold. Her score for the aerial was 72.12. Her second son was born in 2015 after the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics where she claimed bronze.[1]. Our team physio had heard of Trish and suggested if anyone could help me, it would be her., Trish conducted a thorough and expert interview, examination of Lydias spine and movement patterns, and analysis of aerial skiing demands. Founder of Growbright, Natalie Norman, was born into the sleep industry, her family owning one of the biggest mattress manufacturing companies in Australasia. There was a lot of pressure and hype from the Australian press for Lassila to do well as world number one. However, she did not make it past the qualification rounds in Korea, which marked the end of her sporting career. I just wanted things instantly, so I often derailed myself; I often jumped through injuries I over-trained. She returned to the World Cup circuit this season winning an astounding 3 out of 6 events, and has qualified for her fifth Olympic Games, which will be held in PyeongChang, South Korea in February 2018.What an inspiration! If you wish to change or create a new subscription, please call 1800 070 535 Monday to Friday 7.30am 6.00pm & 7.00am-11.30am AEST on both Saturdays & Sundays. The leader after the first jump, Xu Mengtao, had the last jump, but scored more than 25 points below Lassila's second jump to fall down the rankings into sixth, due to a failed landing. It was also a change from how she operated in the past. It was great at the time (to have so much support) but in hindsight, it didnt matter how many people I had sitting and advising around a boardroom tablenothing could prepare me for motherhood or the journey that was about to begin. After surgery and rehabilitation she was able to compete in the Olympics. However, she reinjured the same knee in the semifinals run and finished the competition in 14th place. So, I find its a constant balance of meeting the needs of my family, my own needs and that of the business. Its proven for me, so I would want to apply the same kind of system to my business.. And in my line of work, I wasnt exactly risk-averse. Shes now preparing for the 2018 Winter Olympics is South Korea, which will be her last. Lydias pelvic and gluteal muscles were also weakened and sluggish to fire. Our aim was to have a natural birth as it would most likely mean a quicker recovery time; we worked hard on having that outcome. When youve won a gold, where do your goals go? At the same time, BodyICE continues to grow from a predominantly wholesale business for hospitals and surgeons (Lassilas first customer was her own surgeon who was impressed by the BodyICE pack she wore into one of her appointments), to one that is now finding a new audience online and in retail stores. And I got rubber, but it was screen printed and so every time you stretched the neoprene fabric, my logo would crack into pieces. My dad always ran his own construction company, he always had his own business, so for me, it was never ever a big deal at all. In episode 131 of The Physical Performance Show Brad Beer has a conversation with Lydia Lassila, OAM - 5x AUS Olympian, Olympic Champion Aerial Skier. But on the Sauze dOulx kicker on 22 February 2006 during the Turin Games, she sustained a serious injury to her knee when landing her second jump in qualifications. In early 2020, I also launched a range of eco-friendly yoga and wellness essentials called ZONE By Lydia. This option is only available where expressly indicated with the offer. Australian Lydia Ierodiaconou suffered an Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) rupture during training in June 2005. "Its the nature of the beast. With our expanding range of products we have cold and heat therapy solutions for you that are easy to use, effective, portable and reusable helping you get back on track to being the best version of yourself. To upgrade, call 1300 MY NEWS (696 397), As a Full Digital Access or Paper Delivery + Full Digital Access Member youll get unlimited digital access to every story online, insight and analysis from our expert journalists PLUS enjoy freebies, discounts and benefits with our +Rewards loyalty program. [It was] having the discipline to say, no way, not today, Im just going to focus on this.. I have since expanded this range to include sustainable street-style activewear, made from hemp. South Georgia & South Sandwich Islands (GBP ). The double Olympic medallist then took a two-year break and became a mother for the second time. We often find ourselves filling every waking moment with activity, thinking that this is the only way to get ahead. I think Im pretty good at switching in between those roles, and I try to just be one thing at a time. When childhood best friends Alexandra Caisey and Chantelle Lewis became mothers, they noticed a gap in the baby carrier market. Full Digital Access to be billed $1 for the first 28 days. A valid active email address and Australian mobile phone number are required for account set up. The latest stories, funding information, and expert advice. Powered by Shopify. Lydia Lassila All Stars Champions v Contenders (2018) Contestant Profile Born January 17, 1982 (age 41) Hometown Melbourne, Victoria; Lorne, Victoria Occupation Olympic Freestyle Skier Survivor Career Version Australia Champions v Contenders (2018) Tribe (s) Champions Contenders Koro Savu Finish 12/24 Challenge Wins 17 Votes Against 9 Days Lasted For the Sochi Games, she was determined to attempt a trick that had never been seen in women's aerials before. At the beginning of 2017, Lassila returned to competition in a bid to return to the Winter Olympics for 2018. It will for a long time. Why subscribe to become a Full Digital Access or Paper Delivery + Full Digital Access Member? The years leading up to the 2006 Turin Games were punctuated with injuries, and with victories, including a series of three consecutive first places in 2004-2005. I wanted to escape my body and at many moments I didnt think I could actually do it. I wasnt sick or anything like that, but I didnt particularly like being pregnant. Li Nina, who has also missed much of the last four years after a retirement and a serious knee injury, saw her . I think one of my biggest achievements in life was managing to win an Olympic bronze medal in 2014, as a mother, whilst successfully running a business. His books Sportsmind, Champion Thoughts Champion Feelings and Sports Hypnosis teach you powerful tools to help you reach your potential and beyond. Join Olympic champion Lydia Lassila as she demonstrates some of her favourite exercises to keep her knees strong and healthy Premax: https://www.premax.co Bo. But if your subscription or membership includes home delivery, then you can request to suspend your paper delivery through My Account. I was right on time, which was great. We all know that. It was a terrible shock. Not just on being an athlete, but on developing my mental skills as well.. SmartCompany acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the many nations across Australia, and pay our respect to Elders past and present. Inspiration comes from the most unlikely sources, right? We want you to be able to target any injured area with ease and we want to reduce your pain naturally. She has continued to work hard on maintaining and progressing her movement control and strength throughout a 3 year lay-off from the sport, and the birth of her second child. [7] If she had 'landed' it she would have been the first woman to do so, but she landed hard[8] and 'slapped' down on her back on landing. Monday to Friday 7:30am 6:00pm, Saturday & Sunday 7:00am 11:30am (AEST), App or digital edition only customer? It is a science based program that is proven to work for all levels of ability and fitness including: To learn more about the program, or how My Physio can help you Bounce Back from pain or injury and achieve your goals, drop in to My Physio reception for a chat, call to speak with one of our physio team (PH. She is of Greek-Cypriot and Italian descent. I never saw starting a business as a risk because up until that point, I never had a job before, other than being an athlete. We have a sports injury range called BodyICE Recovery, friendly kids range called BodyICE Kids and also a womens range called BodyICE Woman for pre/post-childbirth and throughout breastfeeding.