31X10.5R15. Tyre Size Guide. Ive heard this too. 2. As we have increased 20 mm width for the upsizing tyre, therefore, the . JavaScript is disabled. This is because tread depth is an important aspect of tyre care, improving safety when braking hard or quickly accelerating out of a dangerous situation. Current Size. Sponsorship welcome so long as independence is . At the end of the day the driver makes most of the difference. If I go to tyre sales websites and enter the vehicle details, they only give 17 and 18 options. Heres a guideline to whats legal in the major states of Australia. Let us know about your The New South Wales Roads and Maritime Services have released a concise document that deals with many of the new rules that surround the modification of any vehicle under 4.5 tonnes GVM, and required certification. Download Article. The problem though, is that too many people are unaware of what the implications of having modifications to their vehicle can result in. Plus Sizing your tyres can be also referred to as stepping up. The only exception is if there are larger tyres in your model range; see this for more information - 50mm tyre size increase. Any accidents caused by illegal tyres may not be covered by your insurance company. If so where can find this information? size and click on "Show Optional Tyres for the New Wheel" - the orange button. are for the OE tyre(i.e., stock tire). This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy If the tyres you are running are bigger than 50mm than the number stated, you have a problem. Search hundreds of tire sizes to find the right tire size for your application. The Prestige being the top-of-the-pops 44 model with various extras including low range. Here's a guideline to what's legal in the major states of Australia. . Can you travel Australia on $800 per week. This second number is that percent. consult your car manufacturer's manual before changing your tyres. Its not a huge difference between the two but the profile difference between 75% of the tread width and 70% can be enough of a difference to put your speedo out of whack too? The link provided is just a tyre size calculator and not a comprehensive tyre guide. I doubt you will get a vehicle with such a big lift engineered in WA, but you could try. If it is over the manufacturers capacity, your vehicle is not legal. Do the exercise and see what it comes back at, but I reckon removing some of the lift and tyre size is going to be the way forward. tire size or rims Choose a tab below to get fitment data for your vehicle or to find vehicles matching your criteria. New Size. Save up to 40% online. Shop for Tires. Under South Australian laws, wheel spacers are not permitted between the hub and wheel unless originally fitted by the manufacturer. Look at your existing tyres and enter their size into the calculator. Its value call us on 1300 367 897 or search by vehicle registration below. Are we allowed to run 37s as its with in the 7% guideline? In the example above, the profile is 55. This is not the only legal tyre size. http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi6.pdf, Have a clearer view with Next Gen Towing Mirrors, Evolution of the Ford Ranger in Australia, How this Next Gen Everest was turned into a beach touring machine. select OE tyre size. The diameter of the new wheel and tyre combination cant be more than 15mm beyond the largest diameter combination specified by the manufacturer for that car. I want to increase to either a 265/75/16 (803.9mm) or a bigger 275/70/17 (816.8mm). NSW In NSW you are allowed to fit wheels that are up to 26mm wider than the manufacturer's specified wheels without needing to notify the Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA). Calculate metric or inch tyre dimensions and compare to similar tyre sizes. Had the same problem when getting tyres for the Troopy. Consider the following, at highway tire pressures you have maximum clearance under the diffs, but drop the pressures from 40 psi to say 20 psi than your diffs are earthward bound, bigger tyres allow more air under the diffs, bigger suspension lift puts the driver into rarified air but does nothing for diff clearance its only the tyres that does this. Not only will this help to prevent accidents, but it will help to improve the performance of your vehicle. In WA you can find it online, but I cant see that for SA. DPF is not in every diesel..they were trialed in automatic Nissan D40 for example in 2009/10then removed..my 2011 auto does not have a dpfplease get your facts right before you publish Some examples include: 1. No, I would say you cannot. You may also need to consider a wheel alignment service. The new rule allows a vehicle equipped with ESC to have a suspension lift measured at 50mm and a tyre overall diameter increase of 50mm (thereby increasing ride height by 25mm). By fitting larger tyres, your braking capacity is reduced. In fact, the actual diameter of the tyre is not larger than 15mm of the size of 225/40/18. We offer Nitrogen inflation for all passenger cars, light trucks and SUV/4WD's. Make it a habit to check them once a month. Tyre designation, for example "P" for passenger car tyres Tyre size in combination of metric and imperial numbers, for example 205/55 R16, refers to tyre width of 205mm, tyre height to width ratio, or aspect . Find out about the rules, regulations and standards for constructing or modifying a vehicle in Western Australia, including modifications to heavy vehicles and vehicles for people with special needs. If you want more information, check out our page covering 4WD Legalities. the 285/75R16 is a legal tyre . Please respect the ETRTO guidelines limiting maximum tire pressure to 72.5 psi / 5 bar for Tubeless Straight Sidewall (TSS) or 'Hookless' type rims. It's time to get a new set of tyres to avoid possible blowouts and accidents. But what I would like to know is if I have my 4wd set up within all nt laws and then travel interstate with 100mm over all lift, am I breaking the law. If I do not notify the insurance company, will they decline my claim? while keeping an overall diameter and a circumference of the new tyre approximately the same as they For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Suggest you use the right terminology. A race 225 width tire on a 6" wheel will perform better than a street 225 width tire on 7" or 8" or 9" wheel, or a street 245 width tire for that matter (if the car has enough horsepower). endstream endobj 380 0 obj <>stream I have just bought a toyota 80. Without them, you won't be able to go anywhere. Regularly get your tyres rotated to ensure even tread wear. Tyre and Rim Standards Manual, issued by the Tyre and Rim Association of Australia Surely the pits would just approve it all? Where are you located? For finding the appropriate wheel for the tire size you may use our While it may sound simple just to increase the diameter of your wheels, as you . Start by entering your tyre size. They have however started measuring the hight of the lift from the center of the rim to the underside of the wheel arch. 7.00R16. Plus Sizing Calculator. Email Us. I have a 44 that runs 255/60/18 I wont to fit 265/60/18 because there is a greater choice of tyres .ls this legal . Column "Winter tyres only" that has an asterisk in a table row, means that the row tyre size is acceptable only for Tire Size Calculator. We recommend you take the 20c test once a month and before any road trips. It is not a 100% guarantee of correct fitment. If your tread depth is less than 3mm, you should consider replacing your tyres. In theory then, a car with 15-inch wheels might be able to take a 17-inch space saver. They need to make things standardized across the country, and get the police on the same page. The tyre size calculator shows the effect of changing tyres. Low profile tyres have smaller aspect ratios. This is why knowing how to measure your tyre tread is so important. After some quick tips on how to tow a trailer or caravan safely? For each tyre size you input our tyre calculator suggests multiple tyre sizes that are with in one inch bigger and smaller of the entered tyre size. If you live in different states, then you will have to do some digging. wheel diameter, width and offset, NSW releases simpler modification document. I, ANDREW BROAD, Assistant Minister to the Deputy Prime Minister, determine this vehicle standard under section 7 of the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989. Note: Tyres showing wear on one side, or showing feathered edges to the tread pattern, are often indicative of mechanical maladjustment. Perhaps you should re-read, before you leave comments that make you look rather silly. The wheel width has to be suitable And I just have the third party insurance, My car is not covered by the policy. Anything below 1.6mm is considered illegal in Australia. For example, in some parts of Australia you can legally run 50mm bigger tyres with a 50mm lift, but not in WA. Buy now. Example: 195mm. Get weekly updates with the latest car news and reviews. Our tyre calculator makes this happen for you. Wheel/Rim Size Calculator in which Developed in association with the NSW Vehicle Standards Working Group . We'll reach out to you as soon as we can. The calculator and the information provided is free to you but cost me to produce and maintain, so please consider supporting me on Patreon and YouTube. The diagram below shows the permissibile conversion from a 15" through to a 20" tyre. The overall diameter of the rim cant be more than 15mm more than manufacturer specifications, while the rim and tyre are also not allowed to foul the bodywork or suspension. It probably is over regulated, but it does stop a lot of people doing stupid things too. A lot of people know their 4WDs are illegal, and dont seem to care. This applies to the central three-fourths area of a tyre's circumferential tread and across its entire circumference, all the way around. (4th March 2011, 14:41 #4: GTO. Dec 16, 2016 #1 I found this from Mr 4x4 in my inbox this morning. Australia and New Zealand. Cheers. If you are towing its even easier to be illegal. So if your standard fitment was a 15 inch wheel, a Plus One tyre would be 16 inch and a Plus Two would be 17 inch etc. All of these things (and many more) can contribute to having an unsafe vehicle. Use the comparison tab to see side by side comparison and speedometer error. In Australia, the legal minimum tread depth for passenger car tyres is 1.6mm. To find alternative tyres, simply click on each size to see what Tyroola has available. Discover alternate tyres based on your rim size. Cheers, Not many companies will advertise 1 inch, and its all dependent on how much your springs have sagged. Within those limits, any rim diameter is allowed. By fitting a lift kit, your center of gravity increases. This formula is used by the leading tyre manufacturers. I'm in NSW the anal state . If you want to read through the document, you can find it here. dimension, the wheel diameter, but you also need to know the wheel width. Ensure tyres have adequate tread depth. Suspension and ride height Gazettal November 2016 2 (35 pages) . I have Fitted king lifting springs and raised 30mmAnd now looking at Tyre options. Just type in the metric fields and click convert to inches. 2) Percentage height of the sidewall in relation to the width. Its pretty common to see big 4WDs driven daily on the road. The diameter of 205/60/16 is 652.4mm. Example not requiring certification: Fitting a replacement fuel tank of equal capacity using the original manufacturers mounting points. 5. We'll come to you - at home, work or even while you shop, A beginner's guide to the basics of tyres, Learn about all replacement indicators and how to maximise the lifespan of your tyres, Learn about the maximum load a tyre can carry, The tyre pressure needs to be checked regularly. Overall original diameter means the maximum outside diameter of the largest tyre specified by the vehicles original manufacturer as an option for the vehicle, as shown on the vehicles tyre placard. But whats legal and whats not? Just to clarify tyre sizes, any car that is placarded with 265/70/16 tyres, most common size, cannot run a 33 or 285/75/16 because this exceeds the 50mm difference. Ignore the physical dimensions. Multiply a tyre's width by the aspect ratio to get aspect height (205 x 0.55 = 112.75) Convert into inches (112.75 / 25.4 = 4.44) Double the aspect height (4.44 x 2 = 8.88) Add inside diameter of tyre (8.88 + 16 = 24.88) When changing tyre size, the tyres should not have more than a 1% difference in diameter - less than 0.5% would be ideal. Designed & Developed by Pat Callinan Media. Tires are manufactured with the tire size printed on the sidewall. Here's all the information on the tire sidewall quickly decoded: 1) The width of the tires in millimeters. When changing your tyre size, stay within 3% of your original tyre's diameter and height. Notice: When practicing Plus Sizing methods, changing tyres and wheels, Common mistake, but it works in our favour. The final figure you need to know is the overall rolling diameter. . Tyre tread also helps to: Drain water so your tyre stays dry to avoid any accidents. Cheap tyres. Cause theres no were in geraldton that is willing to do it cheers. Location: Bombay. 7. Every tire size has the measuring rim and the approved rim width range. In WA, you can only lift the roof of your vehicle 50mm total, in combination of suspension lift, body lift and tyres. Great to hear your engineering was so cheap. I dunno why theyd issue these on something with so much 44 going on. So, be careful. To calculate a metric tyre to height in inches: (#1 x #2 / 2540 x 2) + (#3). Disclaimer:Tyre interchangeability is not always possible, so be sure to Inspect for uneven bulges, cuts and cracks. Dated 25 October 2018. Select the Dimension of your Tyres to Determine the Overall Diameter. The GU would be one of few that can legally run 285/75r16 or equivalent these days. 4. Find the right tyre size for your vehicle or learn more about tyres, Tyroola offers free shipping and delivery to selected metro areas, At Tyroola you can fit out your whole car under $160. Our tyre size comparison calculator takes the measurements of two tyres and compares the overall diameter, tread width, sidewall, and difference percentage (%). width affects the tyre choice also, besides its diameter. For starters, lets consider what is legal, and then you will know where you stand right now. inn of the mountain gods gift shop / circle k workday login / legal tyre size calculator nsw. Not every modification will make your 4WD more capable; there are a lot of Downsides to 4WD modifications that people dont think about. The biggest tire you can fit on a MR Triton with stock suspension and stock rims are 235/85/16. What is the max legal tyre size in Australia for an 80 series? and Terms of Service apply. Our tool gives this in percentages: a positive number is larger/wider, while a minus number represents a negative change. 4, issued 1 March 1994 Page 1 of 7. winter tyres. Posts: 66,782 Thanked: 266,033 Times View My Garage . My request at DOTWA was rejected on this basis.