Share . SHNG meets a man called rnml, and this man told him: Why are going up and down making so many mistakes in your life? SHNG replies: I dont know. References:http://www.aboutsanteria.com/ochuacuten.html http://santeriachurch.org/the-orishas/chango/ http://santeriachurch.org/the-orishas/oshun/. This couple, noticing that the pumpkins were very heavy, decided to open them and discovered that they were all full of gold and jewels and from that moment the couple began to live in wealth. Daughter of Shanghai was prepared as a vehicle for Anna May Wong, the first Asian-American woman to become a star of the Hollywood cinema. ; Shango is likely a reference to Shango who is a Sky Father, god of thunder and lightning in the Yorb religion. One story relates how a people who settled by the Osun River near the city of Osogbo disrespected her simple requests and were washed away but another, who came later, respected and honored her. Our latest articles delivered to your inbox, once a week: Our mission is to engage people with cultural heritage and to improve history education worldwide. Sign up for our free weekly email newsletter! In the same way, Shango's children have a great taste for dances and parties, as well as dressing in a good way and very elegant, always wearing something white or red. In return, Oshun promised them her protection, guidance, and providence, allowing Osogbo to flourish. The Orisha Shango is always aware of all his children since he shows great affection and wishes them the greatest possible prosperity and he, as a spiritual father, is always advising them to choose the right path, that is why he expresses phrases so that his children pay attention to what they do among their main phrases we have: "If the sheep have an opinion, the tiger does not lose sleep over it", "The king is characterized by never telling lies", You don't have to be afraid of anyone or anything. Another Cuban variation excludes the wifely rivalry entirely, explaining Oba's self-mutilation of both ears as an effort to feed Shango after they run out of goat and he is in need of food for his struggle against Ogun. Popularity index: 50102. He is intense, as are his children. World History Encyclopedia. When the children of Shango go with their chests uncovered, you can almost always see the Shango necklace they wear, being this one with alternating basins or pints that in total must be 280. First and foremost, it was very refreshing to see the treatment of Asian-Americans in this film. Godchecker is a trade mark used under license. The initiate must have a name assigned to him before he was born and that name is revealed in the Hand of Orula at the moment that he is being initiated into the Yoruba religion. Running a website with millions of readers every month is expensive. Those who seek empowerment from Oshun draw on her energies in pursuing personal and communal change which includes a heightened awareness of oneself and others as worthy of love, respect, and happiness. Not sure of the spelling? The title of both album and film refers to the old adage, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade", encouraging people to make the best of any situation, but also reflects Oshuns color yellow, linking her with light. This will determine if you are one of Shango's children. In the same way, Shango has a slave named De and a messenger who is called Bangbosh. They are characterized by their intelligence and creativity, they always have the dedication to help other people and try to offer their support when they are most needed. In one story, Oshun becomes jealous of Oba, who has asked her how to make a special dish for Shango. When they went to the party, the orisha Olofin gave each guest a pumpkin from Castile. In 2006, Daughter of Shanghai was included in the annual selection of 25 motion pictures to be added to the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress.[1][2]. In the Brazilian religion of Candombl, Oshun became known as Oxum (among other epithets relating to her characteristics) while in the Santeria and Vodun belief systems of the Caribbean she became Ochun. (Graves, who served as African percussion consultant on the film, illustrates the Yoruba side, juxtaposed with the Howard Roberts Choir's spirituals--Roberts scored the film). The other male spirits ignore Oshun completely and proceed without her. because I am with you, because you take me with great pride, So that you are well, so that you strengthen your soul, I will defend you because I am a warrior but my war is for you. Sometime after this (or before, depending on different accounts), the Orishas again became dissatisfied with Olodumare as the supreme being, as they had before, and felt they could do a better job running the world. See more. rnml told him that he had to go through a certain road, and told him that he will meet a man called GE, who was an Sh (a Wizard or Shaman). Arabi The Lightning, Oddu Ara the Lightning stone. Daughter of Shanghai is a 1937 American crime film directed by Robert Florey and starring Anna May Wong. [2] She is traditionally identified as the senior wife of Shango (the third king of the Oyo Empire and an Orisha). Data storage: Database hosted by Occentus Networks (EU). The word Pataki is a term used in the Yoruba religion to tell stories. A great drought took the land, streams, rivers, and lakes were drying up, and the earth began to die. father Oloddumare : to be judge and jury in the religion and in IFA . All the people present bow before SHNG. The chest is almost always uncovered by putting on a red and white jacket or putting on a crossed band that carries these two colors. Oshun is understood as a deity especially sympathetic to the difficulties of transitions & is associated with transformation. Comment * document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a80b59d6d4229cad71caa297650fbc89" );document.getElementById("ac7e17cd64").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); The relationship between the children of Shango, Relationship that exists between the children of Oshun and Shango, Know the characteristics of the children of Shango. The Story of Shango. The son of Yemaja and the mother goddess, protector of birth is Shango the god of thunder who is one of the popular worldwide acclaimed legends from West Africa to be precise Nigeria. Esu brought the supreme being the news that the Orishas would no longer obey and so Olodumare stopped the rainfall. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. You may be one if you are very sexual, love music and dancing, react strongly to thunderstorms, love the color red, and are articulate and charming. SHNG brings GE to his castle, and he chain up GE, told him; Now you are going to be my servant. Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. See production, box office & company info, Very nice vehicle for the legendary Anna May Wong, Anna May Wong, Frosted Yellow Willows: Her Life, Times and Legend, 532 Grant Street, San Francisco, California, USA. Oshun is the only female spirit sent to assist in the creation. These always go together, dont they? He is in great demand as a drummer and his dancing talents cause severe outbreaks of funkiness wherever perpetrated. But there are contrasts where the balance between fire and water is allowed in order to maintain those energies within the planet. In yet another Yoruba story, Oshun is depicted as the goddess who not only gives life but also takes it. Omo Olokun5/21/2016Patakis/Stories. He is syncretized with Saint Barbara, patron saint of miners, tunnelers, military engineers, gunsmiths, and generally anyone who faces possible sudden and violent death at work. There are a lot of stories out there, and sometimes it takes witchy intuition to sift through them. Cite This Work In genetic terms, they are genotypes. Shango was the one who helped Ossan in his healing, the Orisha that governs nature, when he suffered the plague, that's why when Ossan is crowned. Established 1999. In the same way, their clothes tend to make very loose clothes, but always respecting the red and white colors that represent the Orisha Shango. His special number is six, and his favorite colors are red and white. In her flight from him, she slipped into a river and was whirling away downstream when Yemaya saw and rescued her, giving her the gift of sweet water and rivers as her realm so she would always have a safe place to call home. But the most widespread is said to have been born from the relationship between Aggay and Yemay. One day we hope to find a God of Thunder and Peace. Shango, Yoruba God of Thunder and Lightning. Gonzlez-Wippler, in her study of Santera, describes her as the daughter of Yemoja and one of the consorts of Shango. One of the main conditions is that you must perform a ceremony of the Yoruba religion in front of a Babalawo, who will give you the hand of Orula and the Orisha warriors as an initiation ceremony. She is said to have given her husband her ear to eat, an event which led to her eventual flight from his presence. He was the King of the city of Oyo. CAPTION Jeff Donaldson (American, 1932-2004). Lan Ying Lin: I hope that you will continue in my service, as long and as faithfully as in my father's. Anna May Wong overcame Hollywood's practice at the time of casting white actors to play Asian roles and became its first, and a leading, Asian-American movie star in the 1920s through the late 1930s. After the opening ceremony is performed and the initiate receives the Hand of Orula, along with the Orisha Warriors. But there are many children of Shango who dedicate themselves to being singers and artists. To my father, Shango, I ask for your divine mercy and protection for my person. They tend to be very persevering people in order to reach the end and thus achieve the desired purpose. I'm Olo'batala but Shango forbids me to eat Okra and Mushrooms. The Orishas recognized they had angered Olodumare and cried out for forgiveness, but Olodumare could not or would not hear them. GE answers: You have condence and do what I tell you. rnml told him: You are an spiritual direct descendant of Baba Oduduwa, and You have the path of the THRONE, but up to now you havent earn it. The copyright holder has published this content under the following license: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike. In general, the children of Shango are also very impulsive when it comes to doing something and sometimes they tend to behave in a very arrogant way, which is contrary to the way of behaving in a generous way. TATA G Comments: From this comes the saying; Kings are not born, they are put in the Throne. The Iymi Aj were very upset when they saw that the Orisha Shango did not run away from the place and instead he confronted them, that is why they decided to take revenge one day on the Orisha Shango. He is the chief orisha in the Santeria Church of the Orishas, the tutelary orisha of Rev. Daughter of Shanghai was more truly Wong's personal vehicle than any of her other films. Ochn (Oshn) is the youngest of all the Orichs, according to most pataks (sacred stories). Area of expertise: Storms, Good/Evil Rating: GOOD, quite approachable You may also be clairvoyant. However, "Gunsmoke" star James Arness sadly had the opposite experience as a father. Appearing in some 60 movies during her life, she was a top billed player for over twenty years, working not only in Hollywood, but also in England and Germany. Shango Shango is the Orisha of virility, thunder, and war. The World History Encyclopedia logo is a registered trademark. Written by playwright Paul Carter Harrison--who also scripted 'Youngbood' (1978) and an un-produced biopic of Sam Cooke--and shot in Friendsville, Tennessee, it concerns the clash of Yoruba religion and Christianity, centring around the idea of sacrifice. Director Ray Marsh Writer Paul Carter Harrison (screenplay) Stars Marlene Clark Lawrence Cook Wally Taylor See production, box office & company info Watch on Prime Video rent/buy from $2.99 Add to Watchlist 7 User reviews 6 Critic reviews Photos 17 Top cast Edit The jobs that Shango's children are looking for are firefighters and policemen because they are their favorites. When ShNG presents himself to GE, he says that he was send by a man from the city of IFE, called rnml. Clothes with red and white colors must be placed, in the same way they must be very polite and neat in all aspects of life. "I'm hoping that wherever they go, they will grow," she says. One granddaughter is the daughter of the co-resident son whose wife left him soon after the child's birth. His special number is six, and his favorite colors are . Communication of the data: The data will not be communicated to third parties except by legal obligation. Okra and amala are norms. When the Iymi Aj arrived, dressed as the ancestors, all the people who were in the place ran out of fear that gave them, only the Orisha Shango who stayed there to face the supposed ghosts.