This mask is suitable for all skin types. "I get a pimple here and there, but most of the time my skin feels pretty hydrated and comfortable," she says. It became the creature comfort version of Penicillin for every daily ill. So I always take a long shower when the mask is set. Mix with apple cider vinegar and you're good to go! Glad to know its safe in this instance. Bentonite clay is the main ingredient of the Aztec clay mask and for good reasons. I mean, if you've spent even five minutes on the internet in the last few years, you've undoubtedly seen the cult-favorite, mix-it-yourself mask in TikTok hashtags, Reddit threads, and in your own group chats, with claims that it does everything from fix clogged pores to blackheads to cystic acneall with a single ingredient: bentonite clay. Make sure there are no lumps. Email us at reviews@businessinsider.com. Use a non-metal bowl and utensil. Measure and pour your clay into the bowl 2. Always use a plastic or wooden bowl and spoon when mixing ingredients to prevent any chemical reactions. You can get both the Aztec Secret Clay Mask and Apple Cider Vinegar on Amazon in the these links. Our online classes and training programs allow you to learn from experts from anywhere in the world. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. Bestseller No. Instructions. We will also use a probiotic capsule in the recipe to increase the acne-fighting power of the mask. Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay Mask $14.95 from Amazon $10.29 from Target Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar $5.67 from Walmart $18.49 from Amazon There are a few things that the majority of people who know me would be able to recite off-the-cuff that I love. Based on internet reviews, we each decided. The content is based on the experiences from various authors, extensive research and DIY experiments. This is where the magic happens for your mask. Pingback: Do bedtime right | Out of Your Senses, Your information will be stored to send you emails. Mix 1 Tablespoon clay powder with a little less than 1 Tablespoon of ACV. This type of clay has been used as a skin remedy for thousands of years, and for good. Let it rest for about 2 hours and wash it off. But for soft acne, pimples, and general skin conditions, this should work like a charm. I actually had a moment of paranoia where I considered buying another tub (which is giant even for $13) in advance in case the sellers catch onto the craze and raise prices. On bone-dry hair (it won't work otherwise), divide hair into manageable sections. I used it last night for 20 minutes and it lightened some of my red spots and PIH, too. It doesnt work like a magic potion. Our editors have independently chosen the products listed on this page. Various forms of clay have been used in ancient skincare routines for thousands of years, from Cleopatra's reign 2,000 years ago, to Ayurvedic practices in India more than 4,000 years ago. Thats not unusual considering that this clay can soak up to 180 times its weight. The tub of clay reads that "slight redness of the skin is normal and will disappear in about 30 minutes" (mine was a legit tomato-red for a solid half-hour). Rinse thoroughly with warm water to help break down the mask. Additionally, they mix together so much smoother and save you a lot of hair-tearing lump-mashing. The mask actually starts to crack a bit when its drying, even without moving your face! I also felt a slight tingle from the apple cider vinegar, which was totally fine for the first few minutes, but then during the last half, I was itching to rinse it off. The clay wont be able to penetrate the hard acne and, therefore, wont work. . "Not too oily really ever." If you're a bit of a face mask fanatic like me, you have probably seen this mask pop up on the internet. What have I not tried? Mix 1 TBSP of apple cider vinegar with 2 TBSP bentonite clay in a separate glass or plastic bowl. Aztec clay is also used in cosmetics. Be blessed with great skin! I love compliments. I felt my face tingling and tightening, and the mask was drying quickly. Like Aztec clay, activated charcoal also detoxes your skin pores by attracting all the impurities through a process calledadsorption. Pat dry with a towel and finish off with a moisturizer to hydrate your skin. The Aztec Clay Mask basically acts like a vacuum for your pores in the five to 20 minutes it's on. After a few weeks of using it once a week, my temperamental combination skin is smoother, clearer, and more even overall. You can prepare Aztec clay by either boiling it in water, or by applying a mixture of equal parts water and baking soda. Here are the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) on hair. Maggie has a long relationship with the Aztec Clay Mask, though, and is proudly part of its fan club, so she's very used to the tightness and itchiness (even though we still don't love a product that itches). We operate independently from our advertising sales team. Bentonite clay has scientifically been found to have a lot of benefits on hair as described below: Bentonite clay is known to be a negatively charged material. But going by the same logic, it wont work on hardened, cystic acne. Add five drops of tea tree Oil and continue mixing to a smooth consistency. I'm also lucky to have very regular hormonal breakouts, so I'm always looking for acne products that won't dry my face out (difficult). Stir vigorously until the consistency feels like Greek yogurt Both Aztec Clay and activated charcoal have skin detoxifying properties. Healing clay contains many nutritional components but when it comes to hair, the best properties include silicon, protein, calcium, sulfur & iron - all vital for stronger & shinier hair. Im a bit weirded out by how the makers of the product seem to think feeling your face pulsate is the main selling point of this product, and I loathe having the word impurity in skincare marketing, but I love this product so much Im willing to gloss over it. Use a non-metal bowl and utensil. The irritation is temporary, but always make sure to patch-test future products on your neck 24 hours beforehand to check for a reaction. Aztec Secret Aztec Clay Premium Mask Set by Etana Beauty - All-In-One Kit Includes 1lb Indian Healing Clay, 16oz Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, Natural Bamboo Bowl, Stir, Scoop, Brush & Tote 7 Piece Set 4.6 (5,379) $2995 ($29.95/Count) Save more with Subscribe & Save FREE delivery Tue, Jan 17 In this recipe, we will use Vitamin C and green tea. Milan kept the mask on her combination skin for about seven minutes. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Hi! Sign up for our newsletter to get honest reviews on top products & services delivered weekly to your inbox. Like all of my best purchases, I found it through a recommendation. "Once the clay dried, it felt tight and itchy on my skin," she says. Tames Frizz and Flyaways. Face mask. For topical use, people have suggested several Aztec clay mask recipes, which I am going to discuss later on in this article. It is a detox mask that absorbs all the impurities from your skin pores once applied in the form of a mask. The Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay is gaining popularity as the "world's most powerful facial." It comes in a powdered form that is meant to be mixed with water or apple cider vinegar. Other Aztec Healing Clay Uses & Benefits. Not really. These ingredients work together to help draw out impurities and reduce inflammation, while also leaving the skin feeling nourished and refreshed. Heyo, its Milan and her normal-combination skin lookin fresh after the mask! I have sensitive skin and it says on the back of the box that raw acv is to be used ,can I still use raw acv or should I use diluted acv? I applied this stuff ONE TIME and half her acne was GONE! Apple cider vinegar, as you might've guessed, is acidic. Disclosure: Please note that this blog is supported by readers like you. Answer: The Aztec Clay Mask is made up of a combination of natural ingredients, including bentonite clay, apple cider vinegar, aloe vera, and essential oils. But, all in all, the Aztec Clay Mask is worth the eerie, cult-favorite hype. Read more. Even though I've been obsessed with face masks for years, this is the only one that I would go so far as to claim has actually markedly (and for the long-term) improved my skin's clarity. Use your spoon until you reach a chunky consistency, until . Next, read up on slugging, the viral skincare trend that took TikTok by storm. As a mask mix-in. Ten minutes later, I actually had to stop myself from touching my face because my skin felt that good. And if you're dealing with strand buildupwe've got the two-ingredient DIY clarifying mask to save the day. Vitamin C on the other hand contains collagen which works to minimize hair loss, enhances healthy hair, and overall increases hair growth. (Think of it like trying to apply a face serum without first washing your makeup off.) However, if your hair is significantly longer you may want to double or triple the measurements in the same proportion to adjust it for your hair. Spoiler: The Aztec Clay Mask Is Effing Incredible, FYI: Exfoliating Gloves Are The Key to Smooth Skin, Your Best Skin Ever: Skin Care Treatments and Products, Your Privacy Choices: Opt Out of Sale/Targeted Ads. Vitamin E capsule acts as a skin supplement. Do I believe that? Your skin is at around pH 5. Aztec Clay for Treating Bug Bites, Poison Ivy, Stings, Cuts, and Burns, The 7 Best Soaps to Use if Youve Been Exposed to Poison Ivy, My 6 favorite Dr. Bronners Soap Scents Ranked and Reviewed. Heres another acne-clearing Aztec clay mask recipe if you are experiencing severe acne problems. STEP 2: Add an equal amount of clay to the apple cider vinegar. We recommend our users to update the browser. But remember, your skin may react totally different, so it's important to do a patch test beforehand and slowly work up to regular use. "Over the past few weeks, whenever I've had a pimple, I've dabbed a bit of the mask on it and kept it on overnight," she said, adding that to her surprising, "it really helped dry up and flatten the zit.". Previously, she's held beauty roles at Harper's Bazaar, Marie Claire, SELF, and Cosmopolitan; her byline has appeared in Esquire, Sports Illustrated, and Allure.com. Water can also be used in place of apple cider vinegar when creating the clay mask. Wanna know how to get the best brows of your life? On that note, Ill wrap up the article. Sounds too good to be true, right? Sheet masks and hydration masks always moisturized well enough, and peels helped target dark spots and texture, but clay masks remained entertainingly garish and lavish (so, more mentally helpful) rather than a tool for improving the clarity, texture, and tone of my skin. Depending on your volume and the consistency you prefer you can vary these measurements. The main ingredient in this clay mask is Bentonite clay which has several benefits on hair as we shall see later in this article. Things You'll Need : 1 tablespoon of Aztec clay. One hundred percent yes, the Aztec clay mask is completely worth it! Apply the mask once or twice a week to keep your skin clear and smooth. Still, was this the best mask choice for dry, acne-prone skin? Others use equal parts bentonite clay and coconut. It has been historically being used in different traditions to heal a variety of conditions. It makes my skin feel more matte and cleaner. Add the apple cider vinegar. And all this time I was mixing my benotine clay with water! I needed something stronger, a long-term fix. 5. Apparently, it has its separate fan base, people swear by it, it works like magic. But if you want to try yourself, just remember to follow up with an extremely moisturizing face lotion, like one of these: "I've always had dry, sensitive skin, but when I began hormonal birth control, it turned super oily and sensitive," says Maggie. Mix until smooth and creamy like the texture of yogurt. The back of the Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay says: Directions: Mix Clay with equal parts of raw apple cider vinegar and/or water. I placed 1 teaspoon of clay in each bowl, and added 1 teaspoon of water to the bowl on the left, and 1 teaspoon of ACV to the bowl on the right. Use a non-metal bowl and utensil. Because the Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay Mask is so drying, you only want to use it if you have excess oil to remove. Based on internet reviews, we each decided to mix three tablespoons of clay with three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, which seemed to be the most popular ratio. Can I use this everyday in place of my scrubs? What are the skin lightening alternatives to hydroquinone? Using the small container or bowl, mix together equal parts of the vinegar and clay. It felt so soft and clean, and I didnt experience any additional dryness. Also, as regards exfoliation. In her current role, she covers all the latest trends in the clean and natural beauty space, as well as lifestyle topics, such as travel. Well its got something to do with the magic known as pH. And two, it has to work. Sign up for theStuff We Lovenewsletter! Throughout history the use of clay, specifically green clay or bentonite, is well documented. ME. Due to its disinfectant properties, ACV works to remove bacteria present in hair that may cause scalp and hair conditions thus protecting the hair. The instructions specify mixing the clay with equal parts of raw apple cider vinegar or water. So what does that mean for your skin? Gotchu. Sangat bagus untuk kulit yang bermasalah. Once the mixture dries, add the clay to the remaining oil in a bowl and mix together. The last inch of my Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar sits at about pH 3-4 (ACV is usually cited as pH 4-5, so mine is a tad stronger (possibly due to it continuing to ferment in the bottle its been open for a fair few months). It . Want more deals and product picks sent directly to your inbox? Not just for skin, this fantastic clay is excellent for your hair as well. On today's episode of Is This Viral Beauty Product Actually Worth It?TM, I enlisted the help of my two very eager friends (hi, Maggie and Milan) to test the mask on our three very different skin types, and also chatted with board-certified dermatologist, Karan Lal, MD, to see what's up with this $10 viral product. Your bentonite clay recipe is ready to use! I cant even imagine how many masks Ill get out of this mask and its so easily customizable for what your skin needs! You may see the sneaky effects of this: It can lead to dullness, brittleness, dehydration, and flat texture. Viral Skincare: Ordinary Peeling Solution, Aztec Clay Mask, CeraVe Healing Ointment, Nizoral Shampoo - YouTube 0:00 / 21:55 Intro From a licensed doctor Learn more about how health. Perhaps the most well-known side effects are those that affect the latter: Excess buildup in the area can cause issues ranging from flat roots and flakes to skin inflammation and even hair loss. To treat bug bites. Welp, in the end, it's still clay (albeit very ~cool~ clay), and clay's main function is to suck out and absorb oils and moisture, like a sponge. Its been almost a month now, and they havent completely vanished, anyone can still spot them, but they appear lighter. I wound up with way more of the mask than I needed, so if youre doing this mask for just yourself Id recommend reducing the measurements. 6. There are a few things that the majority of people who know me would be able to recite off-the-cuff that I love. This item: Aztec Secret Aztec Clay Premium Mask Set by Etana Beauty - All-In-One Kit Includes 1lb Indian Healing Clay, 16oz Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, Natural Bamboo Bowl, Stir, Scoop, Brush & Tote $29.95 ($29.95/Count) PanOxyl Acne Foaming Wash Benzoyl Peroxide 10% Maximum Strength Antimicrobial, 5.5 Oz $9.77 ($1.78/Ounce) I dont think anything food-safe should leach at the pH of the clay mask though. I leave on for 20 minutes and wash off with warm water. 1.5 teaspoons apple cider vinegar; 2 teaspoons water; . You can make DIY versions, like this baking soda one (however, many people have sensitivities to baking soda and thus stay away from it). Ive found that if I add extra vinegar before storing, it stays loose enough to use. Im guessing theres little chance of bacterial growth, due to the presence of vinegar, but I also wonder if it might change in some other way once its stored. No jokethis sh*t worked on dry, combination, and oily skin. via Sephora.com, via ulta.com, via target.com, We are no longer supporting IE (Internet Explorer), I Tried TikToks Favorite Self-Tanning Drops, and They Made My Winter Skin Glow, This Cleansing Balm Sells Every 3 SecondsHeres Why Its So Popular, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information, Its a fast-acting product, it only takes 10 minutes to do its job, It can leave some green speckles in your sink after washing, but theyre easy to wipe away. The toxins stick to the clay and are washed out with the clay, therefore being removed from the hair. You'll just need bentonite clay, apple cider vinegar, and water. If youre looking for a powerful clay mask that makes you face feel like a million bucks, add this product to your cart ASAP. Do you think it would leach anything from plastic if stored in one of those little screw-cap jars from the dollar store? We may earn commission from links on this page, but we only recommend products we love. I actually dont have any raw kaolin so Ive never tried, and I cant recall ever reading anything on it, sorry! Not exactly what you want in your skincare. The brand recommends using equal parts apple cider vinegar, which ups the benefits of the mask. Over using the Aztec Secret Clay Mask may have a drying effect on your hair. Check out Maggie with the mask applied to her skin (!!). You can purchase syndication rights to this story here. Since the packaging says to use non-metal utensils when mixing, I mixed the clay with water in a plastic bowl with a rubber spatula. One ceramic, plastic, or wooden bowl for mixing. If larger chucks come off, though, its easy get them out of the sink and into the trash, It can be tough to get a completely smooth texture while mixing, but the longer you mix the smoother it gets, Start out with a small amount of clay and water at first; you can always add more as needed, If youre concerned the mask will irritate your face, test it on a small portion of your skin first, Keep a damp washcloth by the sink in case mixing, application, or removal gets messy. Can You Use Kojic Acid & Niacinamide At The Same Time? (Fun fact: The combination can also soothe. Apply to skin, allow to dry10 minutes and rinse with warm water. 4. By clicking Sign up, you agree to receive marketing emails from Insider Wash it off with cold water and a washcloth. Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay is a fan-favorite, do-it-all, 100% natural calcium bentonite clay. By the way, I have oily combination skin. I washed the mask off my face with warm water in my bathroom sink. Scrubs/physical exfoliators worsen my acne I notice Beauty bloggers swear it will clear up your skin. You'll simply have to combine a single tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with some raw honey and baking soda and you'll have all of the ingredients you'll need to . For the last few years, face masks have been a pivotal part of 'relaxing' for me. Ingredients. The Aztec clay mask is made from bentonite clay, a fine clay that's made from aged volcanic ash. Taking each section one at a time, coat the hair with your paste from root to tip. Still, we all agree that our skin feels softer, looks more even, and has been breaking out lessso overall, we give this mask an A. Now, instead of putting on any face mask to have a fun night drinking wine with girlfriends, I apply this religiously once a week to sit with my facial muscles rendered immobile for about 10 minutes. However Ive read its bound chemically to negative ions making unlikely to be absorbed by the body. Apart from writing, she also enjoys traveling, eating and laughing. The other more likely reason your skin turns red after using the Aztec clay mask? Apply a thick coating of Aztec clay powder on the affected area. The Aztec Secret-Indian Healing Clay mask. Put each section in its own bun. FYI, the drier the mask gets, the harder it is to move your faceso if you need to crack a smile, try doing it before the mask dries. The power of the bentonite clay comes from its ability to absorb the toxins, unpleasant odors, bacteria, soothe pain, restore energy, and cleanse the skin both internally and externally. It is mainly helpful for the heavy metal detox of your body. Since I have a severe acne problem, I mostly used the Aztec acne-clearing clay mask with an activated charcoal recipe for 15 days straight. Thanks a million. For more about the benefits of washing with clay, check out this article. What makes this option additionally so great for hair is the apple cider vinegar. Just buy it and thank yourself later., And Im not the only one at Readers Digest who loves this product; fellow editor Emma Taubenfeld says she adores it: It made my skin feel so soft and smooth, toned down the acne scars, and overall my face just feels healthier.. 3. Loving Kinky Curls, Wondering what products to use on your hair? When shes not writing you can find her watching the latest and greatest movies, listening to a true crime podcast (or two), blasting 90s music and hiking with her dog, Ryker, throughout the Finger Lakes. "I love that these new shampoos are healthier for your hair, but the problem that many stylists are seeing now is that they are so gentle that people aren't properly cleaning their hair or scalps," says certified trichologist Shab Reslan. This made me even more excited about buying a box for myself, and I bought it eventually. Mix the clay and apple cider vinegar in a bowl. I will try vinegar next time. This is a perfect mask for anyone who needs to cleanse the skin deep. Use a non-metal bowl and utensil. I think its OK, but it might harden and get difficult to use! Combine the clay, rosehip oil, and essential oil in a mixing bowl. One of the simplest and most effective ways to make a DIY Aztec clay mask is to mix equal parts clay with raw apple cider vinegar. There are clean versions, which use botanicals and gentler cleansing agents to get the job done. This component is important to hair since it lowers the high pH in hair to a neutral level thus improves the shine and health of hair. Some also include water to dilute the vinegar. I quickly realized that I needed something to really clean out my pores and make my skin feel brand new. It worked markedly better than before even. We welcome your feedback. Since I have drier skin, Im always cautious about using products that could completely dry it out. Throw on a face mask! 5 of 5 people found this helpful. Honey Mask Mix equal parts Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay with apple cider vinegar, add1 tablespoon raw honey. Lets say, well use water or apple cider vinegar to charge up the clay. If you have dense, thick hair, you may need to make smaller sections across your head. Im pretty OCD when it comes to the ph of things I put on my skin. Just use it for the early times that you have it, I highly doubtful its going to expire anytime soon. 1 tablespoon Cortas rosewater. And that can be a good thing, because "your sebum harbors bacteria and pollutants that we come in contact with every day," says Dr. Lal. Alexandra Engler is the beauty director at mindbodygreen and host of the beauty podcast Clean Beauty School. Sometimes, it would turn so dry and tight against the skin that Id be scared to wash it off without pulling my acne-laced skin. So there we have it ACV straight from the bottle is likely to be too acidic (low pH) to slap straight on your skin, and Aztec Clay is too alkaline (high pH), but you can mix them to essentially cancel each others pHs to a happy middle ground. Add essential oil to the mixture and stir. AZTEC SECRET-APPLE CIDER VINEGAR FOR UNISEX 500ML. Katie Wells. Mahasweta started her career as a freelance writer at the age of 18 and fell in love with it so much that she hopes to continue it till her 80s. Print Recipe Pin Recipe. Measure one tablespoon of the Aztec clay powder and add it to your bowl. For a single use, you may find the following recipe is sufficient: 1 cup of. Mix. The label says to leave the mask on for five to ten minutes if you have delicate skin, so I went about my normal routineuntil time was up. This recipe is easy and effective. Interestingly, adding apple cider vinegar to the clay made it immediately fizz like mad: Fizzing like mad is a telltale sign of a chemical reaction specifically, one that uses up the H+ ions that make acids acidic. Below Ive listed and explained the key benefits of Aztec clay: This clay mask deeply cleanses your pores to remove dead skin cells. Apparently, it had been hiding in plain sight. As NYC's newest resident, she has vowed to find the best (extra) dirty martini this city has to offerand yes, that means ~attempting~ to try every cute cocktail spot in the city (hit her up with some recs, pls). for normal skin. Wait approx 10 minutes, for dry skin apply for 5 minutes. When you finish one section, twist the lock and put it back into a bun. Here is a very simple recipe that you can use to make a DIY Aztec clay mask for your hair. Let it sit on your face (or body) for 15 minutes, then rinse with warm water. For this, you will need to add 1/4th cup of clay powder to your bathtub. This mask is similar to a mask used by Cleopatra in her beauty ritual The Secrets, Benefits & ALL the Uses of Apple Cider Vinegar - Click Here to Read 13 If toxic substances present in the hair are positively charged, bentonite clay will attract them. It's powerful, so you'll see some redness after you take it off, but that has always dissipated within 10-15 minutes or so for me, despite having the sort of sensitive, pale skin that makes yoga teachers worried they aren't giving the class enough water breaks. 1 tsp apple cider vinegar. When I had a dermatologist critique my skincare routine, she recommended washing it off once I could feel it becoming tight and dry to prevent the clay from sucking too much oil from the skin (your skin will adapt and compensate by starting to produce more oil). Detoxifying Armpit Clay Mask Recipe. Instructions. This is a photo aftermy makeup was done. The aztec healing clay makes your skin very smooth, but can break out since it is pulling toxins out or w.e. (Anything rich in chlorophyll will help with this, such as parsley juice, eating lots of greens etc). After hypnotically watching the bubbling created by the amalgamation of the two ingredients, I . Should I use it everyday? AZTEC SECRET-MOROCCAN RHASSOUL CLAY FOR UNISEX 400gm. 2 years ago. Wash your face with a mild cleanser and pat dry. Assuming 5% acidity and 1 mL = 1 g of vinegar, 1 tsp = 5 mL = 5 g. 5% of 5 g = 0.25 g. molar mass of acetic vinegar = 60.05 g. molar mass of citric acid (anhydrous) = 192.12 g. Metal Spoon or stick. Why? Welp, that's why I'm here. How Long Should You Leave Rice Water in Your Hair? A wet washcloth, wet gauze, or damp towel. I just bought this today and was hesitant to use ACD on my face. Vinegar is produced from alcohol by acetic acid bacteria. Sorry. It costs about $10 and comes in a one-pound tub with a. It's also possible the mix of vinegar and clay just irritated your skin (hi, sensitive-skin folks). Aztec clay mask has cleansing properties hence shampoo is not necessary. As curly hair influencer Curlsbykeish recently shared on her TikTok, it's quite simple to make. Apply to skin and allow to dry for 20 -30 minutes. 5. Copyright 2022. "I don't know if my skin needs to use it as a full-on face mask regularly, I may just use it occasionally. Took me a couple tries to figure out consistency but noticed letting it sit for a bit helps everything blend. the best things they had ever bought on Amazon for under $25, When I had a dermatologist critique my skincare routine.