Shawn Klush returns to Scranton, PA with The Sweet Inspirations! Myna Smith: Elvis responded with, 'Well if they don't come, I don't come'. Nicholas is a Master Baker and Lucy's delectable sugar cookies fired up his tastebuds as well as his lusty desires. Ed Enoch, The Stamps Quartet, still active. There was one person in particular who had sent the message. Glendale, CA: Glendale House, 1987. Despite her financial struggles, she was determined tokeep her career and her friendships with her group mates going for as long as she could. Over the years, Elvis Presley had a number of backing singers, including The Sweet Inspirations. Doctors said he died of a heart attack, likely brought on by his addiction to prescription barbiturates. "The hard days are what make you stronger." Aly Raisman. [2] $2.99. Although the whole incident was not so simply explained, "Black backup singers walked out after Elvis said they 'smelled like catfish'" is the memory the public has retained of an evening best forgotten. Estelle Brown, The Sweet Inspirations, still active. Friday, June 17, 2016 Saturday, June 18, 2016Fri, Jun 17, 2016 Sat, Jun 18, 2016, Tulsa Performing Arts Center Chapman Hall, Tulsa, OK. Shawn Klush, Elvis' Sweet Inspirations, Elvis' original Drummer DJ Fontana and introducing sensational new 50's Elvis Jake Rowley. Reply. The group's distinct sound is instantly recognizable and has changed little across 57 years of recordings no matter who was singing. Sweet Inspirations is where my ~Dream~ comes alive and lets me be creative as my heart allows. Sylvia Shinwell was the sister of Judy Clay of "Private Number" fame. [2] When she joined, the lead singer of the Sweet Inspirations was Cissy Houston, the mother of Whitney Houston and dynamic soprano featured on Aretha Franklin's "Ain't No Way". The Sweet inspirations had a hit record on the Pop, Soul and R and B charts in 1969. The Sweet Inspirations Top Songs #1: "Sweet Inspiration" #2: "Why (Am I Treated So Bad)" #3: "Let It Be Me" #4: "To Love Somebody" #5: "Unchained . The Sweet Inspirations (Estelle Brown, Smith, and Shemwell) got back together again in 1994, with new member Portia Griffin. The Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist Contest Preliminary Round is June 25-26. The Sweet Inspirations were an American R&B girl group founded by Emily "Cissy" Houston (ne Drinkard), mother of Whitney Houston, and sister of Lee Warwick (herself the mother of well-known sisters Dee Dee and Dionne Warwick). And musicians who back Elvis and are no longer with us but left their legacy of great rock n roll music for over 3 decades from the mid 1950s mid 1970s, Elvis Musician Bill Black died died 1965. The groups most successful song was Sweet Inspiration, which was cut during a two-day session at American Sound in Memphis in August 1967. The Elvis Presley Fans of Nashville would like to take a moment to wish Estelle Brown of The Sweet Inspirations a very Happy 70th Birthday!! It was released in 1968 under the name 'Cissy Drinkard & The Sweet Inspirations'. No wonder that he used to have them open his concerts. As it is reported, Johns, one of the most famous artists and painters who are alive today, holds the title for the creator of the most expensive painting by a living artist. Saturday, 4th March 2023See today's front and back pages, download the newspaper, order back issues and use the historic Daily Express newspaper archive. So Elvis always made sure he got even. Esteemed Actor Ted Torres Martin to Perform Multimedia Musical Stage Production Show Based on the Life and Career of Elvis Presley. Female vocal group, formed 1967 in New York, New York. The Sweet Inspirations were one of the first Gospel groups to have an album released on a major record label, which was a live recording (released in 1959), of their performance at the Newport Jazz Festival. And I believe Elvis was, or is, an angel and he touched people all over the world., DON'T MISSElvis Presley pilot CAUGHT sleeping in his bed: Guess King's reaction[INTERVIEW]Elvis Presley's WALKOUT after awkward meeting with Brian Wilson[INTERVIEW]Elvis: It was INTENSE The King watching 1968 special with Priscilla[INTERVIEW]. The King is coming. Error! Sylvia Shemwell died February 13, 2010. Myrna Smith died December 24, 2010. Large Pecan Pie Bites Jar w/Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream Filling 16 oz. The 'Sweets' worked with Elvis in Vegas, on his national concert tours and on recordings from 1969 to 1977. According to Elvis.com, Elvis loved the song so much that he contacted the group to have them sing back up for him. The group who sung with The King, including his Las Vegas residencies, featured Whitney. But he was really upset about it. Steve Priest, the bassist and co-founder of glam rock band Sweet, has died at the age of 72. The Sweet Inspirations were hired by Elvis Presley in 1969 without an audition, due to Elvis being very familiar with The Sweet Inspirations. Because of Smiths memories, we learned two things about the King of Rock and Roll: he loved black women and he was possibly not racist. Elvis demonstrated his desire for racial reconciliation in the musicians he chose, and in the treatment they received. A founding member of the group was Dionne Warwick, who was later replaced by her aunt, Cissy Houston. Myrna Smithalso backed Elvis up during his 1976 Graceland recordings, both in February of that year and in the October/November sessions, resulting in two albums. He was 42. The Sweet Inspirations evolved from groups such as the Drinkard Singers, Gospelaires, and Gospel Wonders to become top-tier session and touring background singers and an accomplished recording act in their own right.Widely known for their extensive work behind Aretha Franklin and Elvis Presley, the group is what also links Top Ten pop hits such as Franklin's "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural . placement: 'Right Rail Thumbnails', When Emily 'Cissy' Drinkard was five years old, she began singing in a family Gospel group called The Drinkard Singers. Presley's behavior during a July 1975 performance in Norfolk, Virginia, was one of the low points in his long decline from superb entertainer to drug-sodden corpse. Ultimate Elvis tribute Artists Shawn Klush and Cody Ray Slaughter with Images of the King Champion Michael Chambliss with special guests Elvis' Sweet Inspirations. It is with deep sorrow that we announce the death of Estelle Brown in Jacksonville, Florida, born in Rock Hill, South Carolina, who passed away on January 24, 2021, at the age of 80, leaving to mourn family and friends. This is an excellent release no fan should be without it. Tragically, Smith died at the age of 69 on December 24, 2010 from kidney failure. She became a high school English teacher in South Brunswick, New Jersey in the 1960s, while she also pursued her singing career. She became a member of the Sweet Inspirations, which previously served as Elvis Presley's backing group. 7. In 1979, the group toured with The Bee Gees during their U.S. When they were unable to come to Vegas because of prior commitments, Elvis didn't hesitate; he signed the 'Sweets' with no audition required. [6], In 1967, the group did backing vocals for the Jimi Hendrix single "Burning of the Midnight Lamp" which was later featured on the album Electric Ladyland in 1968. Lee, who was the mother of Dionne and Dee Dee Warwick, had also adopted another daughter named Judy Guions (who would later become known as Judy Clay). ", BURBANK, CA - JUNE 27: Rock and roll musician Elvis Presley performing on the Elvis comeback TV special on June 27, 1968. 'I don't know if the road was really for me', she says. We are proud to announce that Heart of the King , A Tribute to Elvis is back and better than ever June 10th for one night only. Today Rick visits with Estelle Brown of The Sweet Inspirations who were background singers for Elvis Presley KTBS 3 Public File | KPXJ 21 Public File. 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts. 24; Mary says: May 16, 2011 at 10:12 am . ", On March 30, 1968, the group scored their first and only top forty hit on the Billboard Top 40 Pop Chart with the song "Sweet Inspiration" on Atlantic Records. The event also stars hometown celebrity, Philadelphia Freedom (Live at the Las Vegas Hilton), Sweets are headed to the UK for unprecedented Fall Tour starts Nov 3rd. Liverpool Echo Arena Auditorium, Liverpool, UK. Walters Choir. At that time, Sylvia Shemwell (sister of Judy Clay) replaced Troy, while Cissy Houston took over from Dionne, with Dee Dee Warwick as the group's official leader. Re-released in 1991, it is still . He was known for his playful humour and outrageous costumes when Sweet played hits like Blockbuster and . The parcel being directed to me, I had a right to open it without being thought indiscreet, and, as my husband is in the full enjoyment of health, I could read his will without emotion. She was replaced by Myrna Smith. The Sweet inspirations were an American gospel/R&B girl group founded by Emily "Cissy" Houston, mother of the late Whitney Houston. When Jerry Wexler signed Aretha in early 1967, he brought in Cissy (now going by her married name of Houston) to sing background with Franklin's sisters Erma and Carolyn on the timeless 'I Never Loved A Man (The Way That I Love You)' LP. Learn how and when to remove this template message, Elvis in Person at the International Hotel, "Elvis Presley Estelle Brown Sweet Inspirations Backup Singer Interview The Spa Guy", "The Dead Rock Stars Club 2010 July to December", "Peter Gabriel Receives Top Honor at BMI London Awards", "The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland", "Myrna Smith - Interview - Elvis Information Network", From Memphis to Vegas / From Vegas to Memphis, Elvis Sings The Wonderful World of Christmas, From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee, Amazing Grace: His Greatest Sacred Performances, Command Performances: The Essential 60s Masters II, Suspicious Minds: The Memphis 1969 Anthology, The King of Rock 'n' Roll: The Complete 50's Masters, From Nashville to Memphis: The Essential '60s Masters, Walk a Mile in My Shoes: The Essential '70s Masters, Peace in the Valley: The Complete Gospel Recordings, The Frank Sinatra Timex Show: Welcome Home Elvis, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Sweet_Inspirations&oldid=1141321166, Articles needing additional references from December 2010, All articles needing additional references, Pages using infobox musical artist with associated acts, Articles containing potentially dated statements from March 2011, All articles containing potentially dated statements, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Sylvia Shemwell mezzo-soprano/2nd soprano (1966?1979, 19942001; died 2010), Estelle Brown contralto/2nd alto (19651979, 1994present), Ann Williams soprano/1st soprano (19691970), Kelly Jones mezzo soprano/soprano (2010present), This page was last edited on 24 February 2023, at 13:22.